The best Typewriter blog

Originally published at: The best Typewriter blog | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Still using the old Royal, circa 1940’s, wisely I have a huge carton of ribbons for it. I snail mail a letter or two a month, it’s a very relaxing old timey thing to do.

7 Likes

Just like Joe Strummer, he composed his lyrics on a typewriter?

4 Likes

I love old typewriters. Not for typing on. Sure, I learned to type on one way back in 7th grade, in the olden days before everyone had computers in their pockets, or even on their desks. Owned a few before I finally got my first computers. Then, a few years ago, my wife bought me a solid old Corona for Christmas, which I do love. But I can’t type on them worth a damn now. The key spacing is very different than a computer keyboard, and it takes far harder work to get a solid strike. I ended up opting for stepping back halfway and getting a nice mechanical keyboard. Not as hard to type with, but satisfies my need for clickety clacking.

2 Likes

One of the cool conceits of “Max Headroom” was that the computers had old-style typewriter keyboards. Here’s the beauteous Amanda Pays using one in the best pic I could find.
type

2 Likes

The California Typewriter documentary is better then it probably should be. Tom Hanks nerding out on typewriters is fun, John Mayer, not as much, but it’s a pleasant watch.

2 Likes

In the evening you can hear him typing typing typing letters
To his colleagues back in England, green and pleasant home in England
He will type it all correctly, neat and tidy, write politely
He will try to give a picture of his life in far-off countries

This is neat!
Especially the bit on typewriter tables.
(What I’m looking for are plans for rolltop desks.)

1 Like

8ca9f2143eeabc86cab61f98b54450b8091e30d0_2_690x455

8 Likes

I think I just blacked out.
BoingBoing enters the typosphere…
Unencumbered by the attention economy vying for my mind tank and bank, I can live in a fantasy world embodying my aspirations of becoming a screenwriter using my Swissa Piccola. Everything feels so official in typewritten print. Will never go back to a word processor until long after I’ve written the first two or three drafts, stream of consciousness style, unedited until I transcribe it to Final Draft format.
Someone brought to my attention that I could even scan the pages and have Adobe recognize the text to speed things along.
Yeah I just blacked out again.

1 Like

Archibald Buttle? Or Archibald Tuttle?

4 Likes

Is that typewriter on the post Hemingway’s?

Looked it up. Doesn’t seem to be. He did use an Underwood at some point (he apparently wore out a lot of typewriters), but not this model.

1 Like

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ah, I was just reading a comic that include a character who had artifacts of historical significance, and had Hemingway’s typewriter that was pictured as an Underwood. And I was like, “Well, THAT would be quite a coincidence.”

1 Like

I have a few, all portable.
But I really want the
wonderful IBM Selectric.
If only they made a portable.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.