Supermarket chain's AI meal planner recommends recipes for “poison bread sandwiches” and chlorine gas

Originally published at: Supermarket chain's AI meal planner recommends recipes for "poison bread sandwiches" and chlorine gas | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Should have just used a regular recipe database like RecipeDB: a resource for exploring recipes | Database | Oxford Academic

AI isn’t ready for anything involving human lives- food, medicine, driving, combat, etc.

14 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

11 Likes

Link to the culprit:

I assume to get a chlorine gas recipe, you have to enter that as an ingredient you have on hand. I tend to agree, it should be able to identify non-food ingredients and exclude them. I wouldn’t trust the legitimate food recipes it presents though, either.

7 Likes

I appears they’ve updated the app to notice ‘invalid’ ingredients and won’t let you proceed if you’ve entered one.

7 Likes

What marketing-grade nonsense. There was no other possible result, and I am stunned they actually expected something different.

17 Likes

and noted that the bot has terms and conditions stating that users should be over 18.

sure, that will fix it. i am sure not a single person over the age of 18 would dream of messing with the bot.

9 Likes

Haha, not as fixed as they thought!

RE:FDA warns against using corrosive "black salve" — a deadly cure-all that's disfiguring lives - #21 by BakaNeko

Edit: You know, I really have other things I should be doing…

12 Likes

This why I think bad AI has been around for a few years now. Like a human being would come up with horse de-wormer as a fix for COVID, or bleach inside the body.

AI… yeah… AI.

9 Likes

I think my end conclusion is that there’s no reliable way to use an LLM as a knowledge-retrieval agent. It just doesn’t have the underpinnings and the references. Now, if you were to link it into a more robust search with a limited, curated knowledge-base, you could trace the queries and ensure that it fit sanity.

7 Likes

Sanitise your inputs, idiots!

8 Likes

Ethelyine? Isn’t that a gas?

2 Likes

I was wondering recently how Linked Open Data can be integrated into LLMs. Maybe curated semantic data is a way forward.

2 Likes

What? You don’t use a 1 cup measure to portion your gases?

3 Likes

You don’t need AI to get bad recipes. This thing has been around for over 20 years.

http://snoot.org/factory/recipe/

2 Likes

That’s your problem with the recipe?! :wink:

3 Likes

“You’re a three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!”

5 Likes

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

2 Likes

The AI knew exactly what it was doing.

2 Likes

Hey, don’t knock it 'til you’ve tried it!

1 Like