Supermarket shopper "sick" after she cut into chicken and found green meat

Originally published at: Supermarket shopper "sick" after she cut into chicken and found green meat | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Still doesn’t beat the time I was about to fry up some eggs and cracked one open to find a dead baby chick inside.

sick cringe GIF

18 Likes

mmm… balut!
yeah. no, thanks

9 Likes

I mean, I wouldn’t really complain if it were a rotisserie chick, but you know…feathers and beak and all.

8 Likes

They should just give her some kind of discount for anything new that’s green like this, some kind of a . . . “green new deal.”

7 Likes

Seems like humans are pushing the poor chicken to the limit:

10 Likes

I recall seeing this maybe once or twice as a kid as my mom was preparing food. I still worry about it at times when cracking eggs but thankful i havent had to deal with it myself

5 Likes

grew up on a farm. fertile hen eggs can always hold a surprise. that’s why you crack each egg into a cup before putting in the scramble or the cake mix, etc.
boiled eggs? that can be eventful…

7 Likes

New one on me… Yeah, no bueno, moving on, yuck.

9 Likes

I am unused to the concepts of “necrosis” and “not harmful” being related to each other…

7 Likes

Well, necrosis of your internal parts is absolutely not good, in any way at all. Necrosis of something you are intending to eat, I guess depends on the nature of the necrosis and how, in fact, in became necrotic. If, as suggested upthread, current breeding has brought us birds whose muscles outgrow their blood supply and consequently die, I guess just yucky. If it is necrotic because it became infected with some sort of alien spawn or other, probably not so much. At the very least, gross and yuck and nopenopenope.

10 Likes

It happens sometimes. Without an outward sign of disease, every so often you’re gonna get some meat that has a problem. Coincidentally, my mother swore of buying meat from Coles after a similar incident. She’d bought a leg of lamb, stepdad cooked it up, and everyone noticed a wierd vinegar smell. Stepdad carved the leg and found a huge tumor right in the middle against the bone.

4 Likes

Consumers buy chickens raised under abysmal conditions and nobody bats an eye. Consumers buy chickens with green meat and everybody loses their minds.

5 Likes

It looks like what you find in the body of a crawdad. Suck the head and eat the tail!*

*or hurl; your call.

2 Likes

Apparently this one is a different misalignment of blood supply and muscle mass. Enough muscle that the inrush of blood during attempted exertion cannot be accommodated and tissue damage occurs.

I wonder if humans at the extreme end of the bodybuilding scene can manage a similar thing; or if it either requires yet greater excess or some bird-specific muscle characteristic.

This is the way my mom taught me, when I saw that an egg she cracked had blood… Of course over the years after literally thousands of eggs with no problem I’ve gotten quite lazy about this.

2 Likes

I guess some people just have different tastes.

4 Likes

Who put Keiichiro Toyama in charge of a Dr. Seuss implementation?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.