Superstar Limo: The story of Disney's "worst attraction ever"

The character’s name is Stitch but the subcontractor supplying the gift shop’s themed toys is called “Snitch Inc.”

Because as everyone knows, Snitches get Stitches.

4 Likes

What a terrible and awful ride! OMG!

Maybe.
But you could buy conversion kits (i.e. a fibreglass hood with a replica of a Rolls-Royce radiator) for VW Beetles and some Chevrolets in the USA in the 1970ies for a short time. Rolls-Royce Ltd was not amused and had them pulled.

1 Like

A lot of expenses were spared.

5 Likes

Agree with you both. I loved this attraction because it scared the shit outta me unexpectedly after a day of Cute Overload.

On exiting, I went right back around to the entry line and told every family in.line with little kids that the warning signs were true: NOT FOR CHILDREN.

Was sooooooo disappointed they didn’t move it to the more movie/teen oriented park.

2 Likes

worst attraction ever

I think you mean “Carousel of Progress”. Boy did that suck.

2 Likes

The new Star Wars land will include a hotel and a LARP type gaming. Guests playing the LARP will have costumes and their ‘magic band’ will let walk around characters know their ‘status’…for example after flying the Millennium Falcon they might be offered a mini-quest at the bar for smuggling or joining the resistance. If you crash the Falcon, you might meet a robot that chastises you later in the day.
I kinda think Cory might have been in some of that design, as he was hired as consultant for Disney a bit back. But ND agreement, he ain’t talking.

3 Likes

It’s gonna be bonkers. Someone recently found some patents Disney’s filed for an interactive storytelling system that lets multiple NPCs interact with you as your reputation spreads around town – you make a deal with a bounty hunter in an alleyway, then go to the tavern and the bartender’s probably heard rumors about you, etc. And they’ve also been working on a lightsaber game that, according to the patent, could work in the hotel as well. Imagineers have been talking about developing autonomous walk-around droids and creatures such as Loth-Cats that’ll wander the streets.

2 Likes

I binge-watched Westworld Season Two today up to epi.5…i hope Disney keeps tight control of their hosts’ coding!!!

3 Likes

I bet there are still a lot of tourists out there who would consider the risk of a robot uprising an acceptable price to pay for the chance to bang hot animatronic pirates.

3 Likes

Disney has outsourced some things to a company “the void” for a star wars VR game/attraction that’s up and running in Disney Springs.
It uses VR helmets and Haptic chest vests. That give feedback if you’re shot or interact…and use you hands to throw physical switches in the set …yet viewed through the VR headset…you see a different reality.

1 Like

I got to try it when I was there a few months back. It’s fantastic – easily the best VR experience I’ve had.

The crazy thing is that The Void is an independent company that set up shop in Disney Springs. If I was Disney, I’d be buying those guys in a hot second. Playing Secrets of the Empire was like seeing the future of theme park attractions.

1 Like

Super Star Limo’s “hosts” seem to have had the coding of Ziploc bags. Within the same lifetime we’ve seen that and then the VR at Disney Springs. Like people who saw the first car and lived to see the moon landing…

1 Like

Even at the time Disney was doing far better with puppetry and anamatronics.

This was just done with as tiny a budget as possible.

2 Likes

Exactly – 20-30 years before this attraction was built, Disney was building a lifelike Ben Franklin that could walk up stairs and innovating whole fields of theme park technology. Superstar Limo is what happens when an attraction is planned out, the building and track are built, but the budget is cut to nothing when it’s time to actually make the ride. “Welp, I guess we’ll have cardboard cutouts and some Spitting Image puppets.”

2 Likes

“OK this project’s obviously dead in the water, let’s make a token cheap-ass proposal to show to Micheal Eisner so it doesn’t look like we just gave up”
[Eisner fucking loves it for some reason]
“…ohhhh shit.”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.