Supreme Court lets military transgender ban go into effect

Not to mention all the distrust that Trump has sown between the Administration and the nation’s top law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

8 Likes

Where is Dr. Frank N. Furter when you need him?

2 Likes

Aaand you’ve just reminded me about Sir PTerry’s wonderful “Monstrous Regiment”.

5 Likes

This:

“Under the ban, transgender people are permitted to serve only if they do not suffer from gender dysphoria.”

gen·der dys·pho·ri·a/ˈjendər disˈfôrēə/ noun

1. the condition of feeling one’s emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one’s biological sex.

I don’t get this.
What does it mean?

2 Likes

That’s kind of like saying “homosexual people are allowed to serve only if they are not attracted to members of the same sex.”

12 Likes

Maybe he thinks he’s doing them a favor?

Hahahahaha… I kid. He doesn’t think. And he never does favors.

7 Likes

That’s what I was thinking that it meant.

1 Like

I’m not sure where that definition is from, but that’s not gender dysphoria. For it to be dysphoria, the incongruity between your gender identity and your biological gender has to actually be causing you discomfort and/or distress. It is possible, for various reasons, to identify as transgender without having dysphoria. Gender queer individuals come to mind. Even in someone who identifies as female but was assigned male at birth, the dysphoria might not develop until years after the onset of puberty. Not in all, but in some.

On the subject of the SCOTUS ruling…this, among other similar reasons, is why, at age 50, I am taking the LSAT and applying to law school.

15 Likes

Your recollection agrees with mine, and yet my desire to see them laid low only waxes stronger for it being so unlikely.

4 Likes

I’d also like to distinguish between feelings about military escapades and feelings about individuals who join the military for all kinds of reasons. The US military is a route to a college education and medical care for many people who would otherwise have access to neither. That may in part explain why transgender people - who are more likely to be marginalized in every imaginable way - are more likely to serve.

I came to say the same thing. People don’t realize how many psychological disorders have riders like this in their descriptions - if it’s not actually causing you problems then you don’t have a disorder, even if you hear voices and have two personalities.

In the case of dysphoria, though, it’s right there in the word. It’s the opposite of euphoria. Gender dysphoria is just dysphoria about your gender.

13 Likes

First they came for transgenders. I did not speak out because I am not transgender.

2 Likes

I get what you are saying but please do not refer to us as “transgenders”. Transgender people is acceptable, “transgenders” is not.

20 Likes

I don’t suppose your lot would consider a constitutional amendment along the lines of

“It being clear that three consecutive Supreme Court judgments passed along partisan lines constitutes undeniable proof of systematic fuckedupness, then such an eventuality shall require the establishment of an Supremer Court”

or something like that

(not sure about the term ‘fuckedupness’ but I think you’ll need the ‘an’ article for biblical reasons) [language]

1 Like

In one utterly toxic way it’s not pointless - it demonstrates to a section of GOP supporters that Trump’s on their side and that he’ll keep going after their enemies.

Please keep conversation narrowly focused on the topic at hand. This topic isn’t the place to discuss US foreign policy.

You are welcome to start a new topic on that front if you wish.

6 Likes

Your post in and of itself is a propaganda post, so no need for Rob to dig up any further, right? Describing military work as “service to the country” is a propagandistic euphemism.

I would say that any law prohibiting trans people from full participation in civic life, which in America entails a great deal that is good (voting) and evil (participating on the front lines of our violent imperialist intercessions worldwide) is abhorrent. And, so consequently, this law is abhorrent. But that doesn’t mean that military work is a valuable or ethical thing for a trans (or any) person to do. Just that prohibiting someone from doing so is an infringement on their fundamental rights.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

1 Like

The same as Nazi Germany then.

Magnus Hirschfeld coined the term transsexualism,[6] identifying the clinical category which his colleague Harry Benjamin would later develop in the United States. Transgender people were on the staff of the Institute, as well as being among the clients there. Various endocrinologic and surgical services were offered, including the first modern sex reassignment surgeries in the 1930s. Hirschfeld also worked with Berlin’s police department to curtail the arrest of cross-dressed individuals, including those suspected of wearing certain clothing in connection with sex work, through the creation of transvestite passes issued on behalf of the Institute to those who had a personal desire to wear clothing associated with a gender other than the one assigned to them at birth.[7][8]

On 6 May 1933, while Hirschfeld was in Ascona, Switzerland, the Deutsche Studentenschaft made an organised attack on the Institute of Sex Research. A few days later, the Institute’s library and archives were publicly hauled out and burned in the streets of the Opernplatz. Around 20,000 books and journals, and 5,000 images, were destroyed. Also seized were the Institute’s extensive lists of names and addresses. In the midst of the burning, Joseph Goebbels gave a political speech to a crowd of around 40,000 people.

Also, what @mewyn said.

8 Likes

I honestly can’t remember who Trump & his ilk came for first anymore. Muslims? Transgender people? Mexicans? Black teens who didn’t actually attack anyone? Women who don’t like being sexually assaulted? It’s all a blur now.

10 Likes

The truth is that it isn’t important who Trump (or the Nazis) came for first, last or somewhere in the middle, what is important that they came for us with hate in their heart.

9 Likes