Supreme Court refuses to block Texas abortion ban in 5-4 decision

yup … https://donotpay.com/
use the api

2 Likes

Assuming your students are horrified about those people in the past, I hope you follow up with a more current example:

21 Likes

simply a time-honored legal tactic - it’s in the friggin rule book with a latin term! who cares what the dumb latin term is though.

1 Like

You do realize that what you argue is exactly how many, many civil rights could easily never be recognized at all because there is no political agreement, broad enough to support legislative action, that their recognition is necessary???

13 Likes

see my post above about clerical ddos.

2 Likes

No. There is precedence for the right to privacy now. it’s also known as Stare Decisis. When you add an Amendment to the US constitution or hand a SC ruling down, it sets a standard of interpretation. Once again, textualism is pretty much right wing bullshit designed to erase gains made in civil rights.

There is nothing magical about the constitution. It can and does change.

This is the supreme court. That’s their entire fucking job, to interpret the constitution and set precedence.

The problem here is that the current court is hiding their actions from the public via the shadow docket, and decimating precedence.

Do you have a uterus? Don’t get one. Leave the rest of us the fuck alone.

Abortions save lives.

YES. THAT IS WHY BANNING ABORTIONS AND TRAMPLING ON PRIVACY RIGHTS ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!

This, But when the courts are stacked with extremists, that’s a major problem, which is what we face now thanks to years of McConnell’s control of the senate.

mood GIF

33 Likes

7 Likes

Only people with uterus’ are entitled to an opinion on abortion. Interesting position.

I would definitely write down, “Killing your political opponents is not allowed” in the constitution, then when the fascists take over we can point to that piece of paper and they’ll have to not kill us!

Is it? Is it interesting? I mean, I don’t want to assume you are making a snide remark in bad faith instead of adding to the conversation. So I guess I’m forced to assume you are actually really interested. Like maybe you are doing some supplementary reading? Or thinking deeply about the idea?

25 Likes

Your not really discussing Women’s Rights/ Right to Choice/My body my choice if you are not discussing it with a Women, the very same Women that this will effect. If your not talking to Women regarding Abortion, then your not really talking about anything at all.

@Mindysan33 If you don’t have a uterus, you will never be in a position to have to think about this stuff. Full stop.

Precisely.

18 Likes

That literally is what happened post Civil War and during Jim Crow, and they responded in kind, which later lead to more Jim Crow laws.

Though I think with Gerrymandering and restrictive requirements for voting will make this tactic not necessary.

The most dangerous thing to American Democracy right now is the prevalent thought that having the other side win is the only evidence needed that there was election fraud. :confused:

While people might still have this perception of a “both sides” dance ala the 1990s and early 2000s, that political dynamic no longer exists. Too many Democrats in office or running for office are still operating under the assumption and it is one reason why they are getting their asses kicked at the polls. The other side is full of hyperbolic vitriol that enough of their supporters believe that they are literally fighting against people who literally want to destroy America.

7 Likes

This is where a vote for the Christian Taliban leads. Enjoy your future, Millenials and Zoomers.

If you have the means, I sincerely hope that every single person posting here today ALSO donated to the ACLU or Planned Parenthood today. I did.

7 Likes

Right, so not quite Dred Scott because they just refused to rule on the issue, but probably close enough. The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 came before Dred Scott anyway, so I’m now expecting legislation from Congress, or maybe just the Texas legislature with a tacit approval from the Courts, allowing for armed parties of anti-abortion assholes to travel to other states, kidnap women’s health providers and drag them back for the $10,000 reward, right? After all, if a Texas woman went there, it must be illegal, just like travelling to a foreign country to commit a crime is still (usually, unless you’re part of a politically paid-up mercenary grop) illegal.

12 Likes

If you are sitting on the sidelines, now would be a good time to get involved! Get the vote out! Volunteer! Donate $ ! Help those at risk! Just do something!

13 Likes

Yes! Very much like the fugitive slave act.

13 Likes

If Men could get pregnant, abortion clinics would be on every corner [with drive throughs] in the USA, and they would be free. FACT!

20 Likes

Get upset about imaginary issues like “critical race theory”* being taught to first graders.

*I.e. Not being sufficiently racist in the teaching of history, or just being a Black educator: Texas High School’s First Black Principal Suspended Over Critical Race Theory

15 Likes

Just this week there was criticism going around that no one from the Biden administration showed up when the bodies of the Americans killed in the Kabul bombing were repatriated. Sure, that’s “false” and “can easily be disproven” but by this point I think a lot of people on the right pride themselves on their ability to ignore the truth.

22 Likes

At this point, I’d go so far as to say that defines the right, particularly in the post-Trump era.

The great thing about imaginary issues is there’s an endless supply of them, and you don’t have to have any sort of reasoned arguments against them (and in fact, because they’re imaginary, reasoned arguments by the “other side” become impossible as well).

10 Likes