Supreme Court rules corporations can cite religion to avoid contraception coverage

Jewish corporations will now demand retroactive circumcisions for their male employees.

8 Likes

I do not want a retroactive circumcision, nor do I understand one.

1 Like

Beforeskin?

17 Likes

time for a boycott smack down.

2 Likes

Koch Industries sprang to my mind, as Charles and David each own 42%. If the company were public it would rank 17 on the Fortune 500.

2 Likes

The conservativeā€™s decision is not a surprise, they are traditionalists, conditioned by a corporate ā€˜Plantation Stateā€™ legacy, where the religious beliefs of Massa governs the wombs.

The court essentially just transferred Massaā€™s traditional ā€œrightsā€ to the Plantation, aka a ā€œclosely held corporationā€.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Unfortunately, I doubt that would do much good, because there are enough people who do think this is a ā€œgood decisionā€ because of ā€œreligious freedomsā€ who will actively shop there because they like the decision. Our own boycott will likely not put them out of business nor will it send much of a message. Iā€™ve been avoiding the place since this all started (the blatant anti-Semitism was part of that too) and I suspect Iā€™m not the only one.

That doesnā€™t mean a concerted effort canā€™t be made, just that those who support it will only double down on their end.

I will forever have a hard time with your insistence that people vote the lesser evil or they are contributing to the greater evil. That simply isnā€™t necessarily true. It might be true, depending on a lot of specific things in the situation, but it isnā€™t necessarily true.

To me, itā€™s like this:

Donā€™t vote for A because he kills people! Vote for B because he only kills puppies.

I canā€™t vote for either of these two assholes.

Iā€™d rather attack the system that makes it only possible to vote for A or B, a murderer or an animal cruelist. Or, in less strawmannish hyperbolic, more real terms, an overt corporatist vs. a covert corporatist.

No, they are not ALL like this every time (Sanders, Warren, Franken), but the point remains. If the system is presenting you with bad choice A or bad choice B and there are no alternatives, then in simple game theory terms, all you are doing by voting B is delaying the inevitable, eventual occurrence of A & vice-versa.

I would rather put my effort towards disincentivizing B from being corporatist, and therefore worthy of more votes and therefore stripping A of probability.

I am not voting for puppy killers because they are better than murderers. In real terms, I like Afghan and Pakistani children. I want them to live. I like government that isnā€™t full of biz-friendly Republicans-in-disguise Democratic cronies at the top echelons. I like laws and administrations that donā€™t use extra-legal prisons and secret courts. I like administrations that scale back police power and focus the judiciary on stuff that matters, not pot convictions. Etc.

Now, go ahead, attack away. But this is just a difference of opinion that nobody can win. I just cannot accept your lesser evil argument as the solution above all others. To me, the Lessig solution is the solution.

Now donā€™t start with me about the Lessig of two evils, triple fucking facepalm.

5 Likes

The frequent consonance between constitutionality and barbarism canā€™t be terribly comforting, can it?

Egad, weā€™ve returned to the barbaric regulatory regime of ā€¦ 2011.

Study this:

Then this:

(Try to notice the pattern there)

Then this:

Otherwise, weā€™ll just have to agree to disagree.

DISCLAIMER: And, pleaseā€¦ Iā€™ve made it repeatedly clear in this BBS the end result is ushering in third parties. Iā€™ve also offered nuances to my approach that includes voting third parties now as long as the end result doesnā€™t mean unrealisitcally throwing away a vote and ushering in more Republcians. And, Iā€™ve repeatedly shown my support for Home | Rootstrikers etc.

2 Likes

If you study, and respond cogently to, my ā€œgame theoryā€ logical argument, I might engage further. Iā€™m not dismissing you; but I do feel somewhat dismissed. Or rather veered off into SCOTUS land. Whateverā€¦

You do realize youā€™re posting in a SCOTUS thread, right? :smiley:

If you study, and respond cogently to, my ā€œgame theoryā€ logical argument, I might engage further. Iā€™m not dismissing you; but I do feel somewhat dismissed.

I apologize, it wasnā€™t my intention to dismiss you. In my opinion, I already addressed your points many times before in that thread I linked to and many other places on this BBS. I doubt you were able to read them that fast. Well, if you disagree, letā€™s start a new thread to discuss it. Otherwise, weā€™re going to derail this SCOTUS thread. Agree?

1 Like

Your taxes are specifically exempt from this ruling.

I believe Hobby Lobby will still cover most contraceptives, but not day-after pills or IUDs.

1. Hypothetically, if my objection to providing contraceptives is not religious (ie not illogical) but instead based in some form of logical moral reasoning, am I not exempted? (ā€œYou are only exempt if your reasoning is insane.ā€)

2. As an antinatalist, I believe procreation is immoral. Does that mean I can be exempted from the individual mandate to enter an insurance pool that pays for othersā€™ prenatal care? Or am I not exempted because my moral objection is not based in religious bullshittery (see #1 above)?

They might, but the real battle they wanted to win has much vaster implications. I donā€™t think this battle was about religion nor contraceptives hurting the Jeebus for the owners of Hobby Lobby. I think their past actions prove that, in my opinion.

Also what @koocheekoo says below I agree with.

2 Likes

As noted by Planned Parenthood, the typical IUD costs an employee earning minimum wage a monthā€™s salary. Thatā€™s no small thing. This is also an attempt to legalize dis-assembling the ACA. If they cannot defund it or repeal it, theyā€™ll pick it apart piece by piece.

4 Likes

I like the Savio solution myself

The lesser of two evils argument is one of a false dilemma. These kinds of arguments are popular with partisans. They typically provide a narrow set of evidence that the ā€˜otherā€™ choice is more evil than their own while ignoring the evils stemming from their own choice. Additionally, they tend to focus on a limited set of values/issues which they hold in higher regard than other values while ignoring the possibility that dissenterā€™s values may be just as legitimate but with a completely different focus than those held by themselves.

2 Likes

If corporations are people then they should be eligible for the death penalty.

4 Likes