Supreme Court rules that employers can make signing away your right to sue them in a class a condition of employment

When I lived in Madison, I met someone who had worked as a coder for Epic. Worked. He told me that their approach was to find those relatively fresh out of college with lots of drive but little experience and work them to the nub until they quit. Rinse and repeat. Great money, he said, but you would have to be either insane or dead inside to work there long-term.

4 Likes

Well done, Neal. Have a cookie.

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know what the NSDAP (the A standing for Arbeiter) did on 1933-05-02?
That’s right. They smashed the trade unions.

6 Likes

I checked out Epic on Glassdoor.com, and what little I was able to see (I don’t have an account) corroborates that notion: work long and hard. Epic has 3.5 stars out of 5, and an 83% approval rating for the CEO. I don’t know that that means compared to other companies, and looking at the office photos on that site, it might be gamed to some degree. I just don’t know, so take that for what it’s worth. I don’t advocate for Glassdoor, I’m just doing quick checks with the tools I know about. There’s more to say about that, but that’s a different post or comment or whatever.

Aside: I typically try to not create accounts on sites that require me to give up my legal rights via their Terms of Use. I quickly checked Glassdoor’s TOU and sure enough, they ask you to give up rights by an arbitration provision. Some sites’ TOU do not allow you to opt out, a few do. Glassdoor’s does allow you to opt out, and they even have a handy PDF form you can download, complete, print and mail. That’s actually the best I’ve seen in my efforts of getting-familiar-with-the-TOUs of different websites.

4 Likes

fuzzyfungus
What are we going to do with old horses now that our contracts can easy supply our projected adhesives demand essentially indefinitely?

Flog them, obviously.

Remember that this is internet review points: 3.5 is questionable at best.

…Remember to give as many 5 stars as possible when your poor customer service droid asks you to take a survey folks, their job may be on the line :wink:

1 Like

Hey, guys? Ummm… When did SCOTUS start taking orders from Congress? I mean, seriously, aren’t they supposed to be our protection from Congressional overreach?

I think that it is. SCOTUS is bowing to Congressional direction and Congress passively watching POTUS violate the emoluments clause. Checks and balances and the experiment of a triform representative government is dead.

I don’t think the Lord Humungus’ rig is that juiced, but you can clearly see he knows how to handle political opponents.

I know that unions have a bad press in the US, but as far as I’m aware, they’re still legal.

So I’d like to understand how that decision can stand since, essentially, it gives employers the right to outright forbid unioning as part of the job contract. Isn’t there some kind of law against such terms?

Well it seems like every state is “At Will” these days, which means that they’re allowed to fire you for agitating to organize as long as they promise that they can’t tell you why you were fired, but it definitely wasn’t for unionizing, so…nah.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.