Supreme Court rules that employers can make signing away your right to sue them in a class a condition of employment

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/roi-on-gorsuch.html

3 Likes

What are they afraid of?

7 Likes

In theory, it could be legislated away. In practice, there are too many corporate shills in both parties for it to stand a chance to happen.

9 Likes

Elections have consequences, even when stolen.

4 Likes

Stolen? I presume you mean from Merrick Garland?

It’s sad how good Garland looks by comparison, I guess.

Ah crap. Supreme Court, you really blew it. How is there any way this can be taken care of with legislation? That wouldn’t have happened before the very contentious Congress we are currently stuck with.

3 Likes

Is the concept of checks and balances dead? This seems like the Supreme Court saying “Congress and the President can do what they want, we won’t question it unless it’s specifically mentioned in the Constitution”.

2 Likes

walk_away

4 Likes

My political platform? My platform is a screaming metal hellbeast, equipped to crush my enemies beneath its’ rolling wheels.

2 Likes

… would that be two thousand horsepower of nitro-boosted war rig?

Gosh, what a piece of crap Epic Systems Incorporated is as a company. Read their Wikipedia entry, and then the article about this case. The latter says:

In April 2014, Epic Systems, a Wisconsin company, sent employees an email stating a change to employee policy that introduced a new arbitration agreement that stated that employees were required to settle any claims covered by the agreement, which included wage-related issues, in binding individual arbitration, waiving any collective or class proceedings, and instructed employees to acknowledge these terms as part of their continued employment.

Geez, if I got an email from my employer like that, and if I had any questions whether the management was good-spirited and friendly an Epic dick, that email would resolve any such conundrum.

Plus, they are Wisconsin-based, a state just filled with love for its employees, public and private both, starting with their wonderful governor. /s

10 Likes

“Late-stage capitalism!” (or the other generic New Yorker cartoon caption – both apply).

2 Likes

Justice for the Common People.

6 Likes

It feels like the decline of unions is having a ripple effect.

3 Likes

What are we going to do with old horses now that our contracts can easy supply our projected adhesives demand essentially indefinitely?

Sounds like we need a strike against any employer that would impose such a clause in an employment contract.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Cloud Atlas

Great idea, but despite the fictitious official employment rate, many will instead suck up yet another encroachment on decent living for working people, and instead of striking, feel glad that at least they have a job.

5 Likes

If labor wants power it has to throw its weight around.

2 Likes

With the stripping away of protections for workers, this is eventually going to lead to a bug uptick in worker militancy as they will have no legal avenues to resolve their grievances.

1 Like