Surfing the “atmospheric river’s” ocean waves

Originally published at: Surfing the "atmospheric river's" ocean waves | Boing Boing

1 Like

With coastal swells that locals have indicated have not happened since the 1990s, California’s shorelines have experienced unprecedented participation by “the atmospheric river” in the reclaiming of the continent and the architecture and ecology of the seashore.

Vinod Khosla’s property perhaps?

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

4 Likes

I read that some people were surfing on the waves coming from the land into the ocean, with river run-off being so powerful right now. That seems pretty crazy.

1 Like

Is it just me or do they keep coming up with weather terms and using them as if we are supposed to know what they mean: in recent years: Derecho, bomb cyclone, atmospheric river all phrases for distinct weather phenomenon that seem to have gone from zero usage to everyone saying it.

2 Likes

and don’t foget haboob!
(been in a lot of those. still call them “dust storms”.)

3 Likes

Ooh! That one’s new to me!

1 Like

If a flash mob goes to see it up close, they might become a flush mob.

4 Likes

Maybe its because these phenomena are happening more often now.

3 Likes

I formerly lived in coastal (tsunami-prone) zonez but am now at 3600 feet in the Sierra Nevada range. I sure hope ocean waves don’t reach this high – we sold the canoe.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.