Surgeon shows up at video court date during surgery

You do realize that automobiles are dangerous machines, speed limits exist for a reason and driving 15 mph over the limit greatly increases the chances that a driver will kill someone, yes?

Speeding is a victimless crime until it isn’t.

7 Likes

Likely to backfire according to people who actually have experience dealing with judges.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1366448174831783936

11 Likes

It’s one thing to take a zoom call during your work hours, it’s another to take it while you are engaged with a customer. It would be unprofessional for a waiter, lawyer, or plumber to take a zoom call with a customer right there. Same for a doctor.

True, maybe not a true violation. More likely a hospital rules violation. But had anyone said anything in the background, whole 'nother story.

The court didn’t make a medical determination. It opted out of making a medical determination. I didn’t watch the video (because I’m “at work” :shushing_face:)., but if the patient was as stable and under another doctor’s care enough for this guy to have his zoom court date, he could have left the OR and gone to the hall or another room. The fact he didn’t could mean he knew he might need to “leave” at a moment’s notice. That’s not how courts and judges work.

5 Likes

I hope, for that a-hole surgeon’s sake, that everything goes swimming during and post surgery for that patient.

Otherwise the next time this video shows may be “your honor, I’d like to present evidence of malpractice: my surgeon clearly wasn’t focused on the task at hand…”

7 Likes

Per businessinsider.com, “surgeons” are 5th on the list of the 10 professions with the most psychopaths.

Along the way in life I learned that surgeons, in working toward that profession, were helpfully advised to think of the people under their scalpels as mannequins, and not people; being among the top 10, that makes sense.

BTW: Cops are number 7 on that list.

2 Likes

I would suspect the patient could sue for malpractice even if it went well.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the ticket was for no front license plate.
Probably thinks it makes his pretty car not look pretty.
Pay the $275 and go about your business
And how exactly do you argue that you actually had a license plate when the police officer says it wasn’t there?

1 Like

Most front license plate laws have nuances, like that the license information just has to be visible from the front of the vehicle. Some include language like “using the manufacturer-provided mounting location” when some manufacturers don’t include the mounting points or hardware to do so. So he might have wanted to argue some obscure point of the law that the officer didn’t take into consideration.

Still - surgeons make mid-6 figures on the low end. Just pay the damn ticket.

ETA: from what the surgeon said, he’s implying that he had planned to attend normally but that the case or multiple cases went long. If that’s true, then that might be a valid reason. If he leaves the OR, he would have to scrub back in, which is a time-consuming process; possibly longer than the hearing. He probably thought it would be more efficient to just attend the hearing in the OR while someone else monitored the patient. Unlikely to be another surgeon, but there is probably an anesthesiologist there to take care of the patient. Still not cool to keep the patient on the table for the extra time, though.

2 Likes

You have to show injury. How was the patient harmed?

2 Likes

psychological trauma? ptsd? developing a fear of surgeons and even physicians in general?

2 Likes

While unconscious? :thinking:

2 Likes

He’s not taking the issue to court because he’s too poor to pay. He’s taking it to court because he thinks he’s right.

4 Likes

Since when is a judge allowed to determine how a doctor treats a patient, especially when that’s not even what the case was about? The judge should be charged with practicing medicine without a license.

3 Likes

That would be the nice interpretation of the situation, I agree.

3 Likes

Max Headroom warned us about this, but we didn’t listen

3 Likes

It certainly didn’t seem to do so in this case. Guess we’ll see come the new court date.

The operation was a success. The patient died. The surgeon was arraigned for contempt. Nah…probably didn’t happen.

Scrubs__JD__I'm a little busy

5 Likes

Because all police officers are always 100% truthful witnesses.

2 Likes

I’m no surgeon, but I’d think you’d have to screw up pretty bad to lose a patient during plastic surgery.

1 Like