Surveillance is the new blooming onion at Outback Steakhouse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/surveillance-is-the-new-bloomi.html

1 Like

Facial recognition technology needs to be banned but it won’t. It is going to be used by every bean counter and authoritarian shitheel that can make a buck off of it.

I have never been to an Outback Steakhouse, and now I will make absolutely sure I never go in one. It’s bad enough I have to put up with TVs in restaurants now, I am absolutely not putting up with this not for one goddamn minute

7 Likes

In Outback Steakhouse, TV watches you!

8 Likes

Can the AI facial recognition also count pieces of flair?

5 Likes

It’s a depressing future when the AI revolution means you have an automated micromanager peering over your shoulder all day long instead of the obnoxious person that used to do it.

1 Like

What’s the name for that effect that when you first learn a new word, you hear it in conversation constantly for the next few days?

I’m experiencing a related effect now with respect to people’s work lives being ruled by performance metrics.

I’m seeing the negative consequences of the above all over the place lately.

4 Likes

Big brother at it’s finest. Sadly I think a lot of society will move towards this sort of thing and it makes me sad. Man George Orwell was a prophet…

2 Likes

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be offered a ten episode a season / two season deal on Netflix.

5 Likes

Wait! Outback Steakhouse is still a thing?

3 Likes

Apparently the Bloomin’ Onion is actually based on a dish from New Orleans. I’ve been all over Australia and never come across one anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah, the technology could be fairly applied, it’s not hard to see some benefits that might make staff’s jobs less stressful even.

Unless they’re being paid a living wage to begin with, and never mind tipping- it’s clearly going to be used against them, not for their benefit.

2 Likes

Edit: “seen” should be “soon” in above piece. Story is appreciated. Tool results awaited. Best wishes.

1 Like
2 Likes

The Outback Fakehouse is an insult to Australians.

2 Likes

I would posit that there is absolutely no need to “optimize” this process to begin with. It’s a preposterous idea that has somehow gotten normalized to the point where people debate its merits and shortcomings rather than notice that the idea is itself completely unnecessary.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.