Surveillance camera hallucinates face in the snow, won't shut up about it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/01/losing-face.html

6 Likes

“this is me destroying the face before heading to work.”

11 Likes

We should have known that once we had artificial intelligence, artificial pareidolia wouldn’t be far behind.

23 Likes

9 Likes

Artificial Pareidolia is the name of my new band

21 Likes

I’m in love with the juxtaposition between “greatly concerned about my home’s security” and “posting publicly on Facebook about what time I leave the house for work.”

17 Likes

“Little did he know that the camera was seeing what really was there,” said the narrator.

16 Likes

2e72u3

7 Likes

Well there’s the difference between AI and real human perception-- I see a cute puppy dog.

1 Like

I have my surveillance system set to notify me every time there’s a fluffy bunny in the clouds.

12 Likes

Tip for your next protest in the snow: wear 3D printed shoe sole covers that make face imprints in the snow, build snowman heads everywhere, print out a couple of photos of prominent figures from the Ministry of Love and show them to all the cameras

6 Likes

Well, it was a white face, I suppose, so that may explain some part of it.

Such snowflakes.

6 Likes

“ If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.”

[George Orwell]

6 Likes

_IMG_000000_000000

“I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I saw a face in the snow. Maybe you should go out and look."

4 Likes

Needs more snow goons:

9 Likes

Time to stock up on cheap human face masks from your Halloween outlet store to fuck with your neighbors’ cameras.

2 Likes

It’s the general fuckery of this timeline, once again

1 Like

That’s some brutal software engineering. If the “face” doesn’t move for extended periods, you can be pretty sure it isn’t one.

1 Like

On the Hume Freeway in Victoria, Australia we have speed cameras which record registration plates at two points quite far apart. A sophisticated AI turns the photos into rego numbers and sends an infringement notice if you have been exceeding the speed limit.

Except that sometimes the AI transposes digits and gives every indication of having dyslexia…

2 Likes