Amazon patents doorbell camera that calls police when it recognizes a "suspicious" person

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/14/amazon-patents-doorbell-camera.html

Of course it will never falsely flag people of color at an alarmingly high rate! Thanks Amazon.

28 Likes

Hooray for modern phrenology!

26 Likes

What happens when the suspicious person is the police?

20 Likes

Obligatory:

21 Likes

It unlocks the door, welcomes them in.

3 Likes

26 Likes

Halloween just got shoot-i-er

10 Likes

It does make sense to get pictures of repeat offenders, then keep an eye out for them elsewhere. If a person robbed a house in my street, then turned up on my door step, I would want to know about it.

Oh I know this one!

The camera trips on you at your own home for some reason, calls the cops who then throw a flashbang into your kid’s crib, then they shoot your dog in the yard and drag you off to jail after breaking down your door and shooting up the place.

25 Likes

Questions like that are thought crimes, citizen!

10 Likes

Oh, in other words, automated status quo for any black person successful enough to live in a decent neighborhood with “watchful” neighbours.

9 Likes

Meh, use by a homeowner on his/her private residence to collect video of the area surrounding the front door implicates no privacy rights. Troll harder, ACLU.

1 Like

Don’t forget about how they confiscate your car and home.

12 Likes

Except that if someone is known to have recently robbed a house in your neighborhood and the police know who it is and have a picture of them to upload to your camera, then that person would be arrested and in jail, not on your doorstep. In practice this technology only applies to people under suspicion, not people known to have committed crimes, and the main cause for suspicion (at least in the U.S.) is ethnicity

13 Likes

The only acceptable use of this, I can think of, is if you are able to enter in specific people. i.e. Someone you have a restraining order on. Anything else sounds like bullshit. I can understand using these things to catch package thieves, but they will be long gone by the time the cops get there.

Seriously, we are living in some of the safest times ever, we don’t need to be so skittish. You can be vigilant and not naive while at the same time not assuming the worst all the time.

12 Likes

What’s wrong with suspicious people? I’ve been a suspicious person all my life, and for all you closet racists, I’m a white suspicious person. There needs to be more acceptance and kindness toward people with my condition.

4 Likes

Oh stop; you’re ruining a perfectly good straw man!

8 Likes

I bet being a Prime member lowers your chance of getting classified as “suspicious”—they will do anything to ensure everyone becomes a Prime member, I swear.

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that no good, but plenty bad, will come from this. Aside from false positives and gung-ho reactions as described above, you know that the device will be hacked within about 10 minutes of installation and provide a new vector for swatting, blackmail, etc.

It would be nice if we could come up with a way to curtail the ever-growing surveillance state.

11 Likes