Surveillance reveals customer's dirty trick to discredit boba tea shop by putting lint in drink

Originally published at: Surveillance reveals customer's dirty trick to discredit boba tea shop by putting lint in drink | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer and could be TOTALLY wrong here, but don’t this guy’s actions potentially run afoul of the various product tampering laws in place?

4 Likes

Given that it was his own drink, after he purchased it, I’m not sure how they could apply. But if he was making money off this somehow - or was hoping to - I could see some other laws applying…

5 Likes

Gotta say, if that was performance art, I want my money back! Christ, he’s so totally inept, if I was going to try to screw over a business like that, I’d have it properly pre-planned with something already placed in my cheek that I could spit back into the cup, with none of that phaffing around. He didn’t even seem to spot the camera right above his head!

2 Likes

“I believe there will be no charge for this two-four of beer, thank you”.

2 Likes

Don’t give anyone any ideas. Especially anyone bay area tech-bro adjacent.

You (the client) are hereby granted one (1) non-transferable license for the consumption and digestion of one (1) hereby included beverage (as defined by yada yada…). By holding this cup you agree to the below license and agree to arbitration and non-competition of non Boba-Tea-Corp. beverage (as defined by yada yada…) for a period of 7 calendar years. Boba-Tea-Corp. maintains ownership, copyright, and trademark ownership of this beverage, and can require an immediate return at any point it is in your (the clients) possession…

3 Likes
3 Likes

Doing a little digging, maybe? On a federal level, “willfully claiming falsely that a product has been tainted” carries up to five years in prison. That said, it looks like that only applies when products are shipped across state lines, so I think it would depend on State Statute. Also, it might also depend on whether he claimed it was intentional

In Florida, for example, you can now carry a concealed firearm without a permit, but falsely claiming that your drink was tampered with carries criminal charges.

Meanwhile, in Texas (where it is legal to hunt and kill the person who stole your truck), false claims at this level don’t SEEM to be illegal (again, I’m not a lawyer), whereas more serious claims and threats could be… but, you know, some guy makes off with your truck nuts, shoot him.

1 Like

You posted a negative review? Hey Frank, grab the stomach pump!

1 Like

So curious? I am thinking he left the review with tea shop, or online? If he only left it with the tea shop, why bother refuting the claim? If he did it online, how do you search the surveillance video to find this? If he did both, still all the difficulty. Here is a theory: The bubble tea shop has an online complaint and then stages a scene to refute the claim?
Mysterious, interesting, I think we have next British detective series.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.