Suspect arrested in stabbing death of tech exec, and it's someone he knew

Originally published at: Suspect arrested in stabbing death of tech exec, and it's someone he knew | Boing Boing

6 Likes

never waste an opportunity to further marginalize poor and or homeless people. not when there are real estate profits to maximize

38 Likes

We really need to do something about the explosion of tech-exec-on-tech-exec crime.

29 Likes

Came for same. Thanks for this.

8 Likes

I think we’re past due to replace all execs with AI. Any conflicts to be resolved in game of choice.

7 Likes

We build a super-sophisticated AI and then make it play Minesweeper all day long. Perfect!

7 Likes

San Francisco needs a program to remove tech bros from the streets. If not the entire city.

21 Likes

It was weird that a single event (especially one where the facts weren’t even known) got used to justify assertions that SF is “dangerous,” when the statistics show quite the opposite. It was entirely about perception - and that almost entirely seems to be about the homeless problem, people living on the streets, doing drugs in public view, etc. rather than actual crime.

Now that the “random street crime” narrative about this event was allowed to spread and percolate for a while, I suspect any facts that are revealed won’t do much to dent that perception. The early story was the one people wanted to hear, not this one, so the false story will stick in people’s minds, not completely dispelled by the truth. People who believe SF is a violent hellhole will still probably be thinking of this as a justification for their belief.

16 Likes

There is something so poetic about countless poor people, homeless, immigrants, ethnic minorities and the existence of democracy itself being blamed for the homicidal sociopathy and recklessness that emerged between two highly educated, wealthy, and privileged men.

I hate this poem though.

20 Likes

Same as it ever fucking was; the real war is between wealth/power and actual accountability.

17 Likes

There was also some gun fetishist on the BBS when this story broke trying to explain that the reason Lee was killed is because California doesn’t encourage everyone to carry handguns for personal defense. The fact that Lee was actually accompanied by his attacker rather than surprised by a mugger from several feet away is yet another reason that theory is idiotic.

16 Likes

To be clear that was a new, short-lived troll, and not one of the regular long-time members.

17 Likes

cynical me, here i thought it was a drug deal gone bad. i suppose it still could be that, now that i think about it.

6 Likes

It was weird, too. That guy that got kicked out of here likely also was going to go on a racist rant, and he’d been a member on the forum since 2013. I’m half wondering if boingboing accounts are showing up for sale or something. Like what happened between 2013 and now to turn people fashy and ammosexual.

6 Likes

Yes, it seems the suspect objected, rather pointedly, to Bob Lee knowing his sister biblically.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.