Suspected "Chinese spy balloon" was spotted over Montana yesterday — and is still flying over the U.S

5 Likes

the Chinese spy balloon

Oh, that’s been determined now? :face_with_monocle:

8 Likes

Because of course :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

$1.9 Trillion dollars on defence and nobody can deal with a fucking balloon.

17 Likes

I don’t know, but It is a great band name.

6 Likes

I’m kind of surprised that the CIA has nothing that’ll snatch this thing in flight and safely bring it home for analysis. Aren’t surveillance balloons a thing?

4 Likes

Well there’s that theory floating around like a trial balloon that taking it down would provide China with justification for taking a proverbial needle to US satellites over China. Could just be hot air of course.

18 Likes

Nice work :wink::+1:

12 Likes

Red Balloon GIF by The3Flamingos

12 Likes

They probably could adapt this:

11 Likes

Republicans have officially shit their collective pants over a weather balloon.

6 Likes

This should give them a collective heart attack:

16 Likes
6 Likes

Average Joe can get it done, I’m not sure she understand how guns she actually owns work.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 19-17-13 Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on Twitter

9 Likes
9 Likes

Ars explained things pretty well like they always do. It’s the size of 3 school buses, kind of explains why they just can’t shoot it down unless they’re sure nothing is below and it’s over Kansas.

In that story was this Tweet that was interesting. Science can do anything.

13 Likes

I don’t think that technique would work here; the balloon is flying at something like 66,000 feet which is above the maximum altitude for most air-breathing planes even when they aren’t dangling a recovery contraption out the back.

11 Likes
12 Likes

On second thought there’s one guy who has a plane that might be up to the task…

10 Likes

Another story from years ago. 1000 rounds could not bring down a weather balloon. But sure, encourage people to shoot at it from the ground.

3 Likes