Suspected Nazi enthusiast Sebastian Gorka's degree probably fake

“As a result the status of unbelievers is very different from that say of the Christian faith. For the Muslim, the concept of converting the unbeliever has little importance since the separation of believers from non-believers has been determined already by the Creator.”

Wow. They managed to find an alleged PhD, from Europe, who would appear to have never heard of “Calvinism”; or all those cool meatgrinder wars where doctrinal quibbles over the relative importance of ‘faith’ and ‘works’ were considered to be so relevant. That takes some effort.

7 Likes

That’s Dr. Cucumber, PhD to you! (Sounds like a much better kid’s show than presidential advisor, frankly.)

4 Likes

Who better to say background checks aren’t currently rigorous enough than this guy, whose life demonstrates they aren’t?

Though, with his Nazi connections, he probably would fail refugee screening; good thing for him he was a well-connected fake terrorism expert and Fox News contributor instead of a traumatized refugee.

1 Like
16 Likes

Not true I’m afraid. Cucumber is “uborka,” not “gurka” in Hungarian, and it’s not used as an insult. You must be confusing it with another language.

1 Like

It looks like it’s Swedish for cucumber, if Google Translate is to be trusted.

1 Like

Being a Nazi isn’t always an issue; but I don’t get the feeling that this guy would qualify for the “Is literally a rocket scientist” exemption.

2 Likes

I’m no fan of Gorka, but this ‘takedown’ just sounds a little off. I have a PhD from a British university. Unfortunately I also have experience exposing a fake PhD (as in, completely made-up), but that’s another story.

As is usual, my viva (exam) was tough, and lasted around three hours. But the only printed record I have of that exam is a single A4 sheet from each examiner.

Personally I don’t particularly like using the Dr. title, but many of my colleagues do use theirs. From casual observation, it seems that people who work outside of academia are more keen to use their title. Possibly because a title holds less value when everybody in the room has it.

Did Gorka take classes? Well, for a PhD in Europe, there often aren’t any classes. It’s all about independent study. I come from a science background, where there may be a few classes for PhD students, but in the humanities there are often none at all.

Prof. Reynolds says “Undergraduates do not award Ph.Ds.”. It’s a small thing, but an undergraduate is someone working towards a degree. Once you are awarded a first degree, you become a graduate. As for the examination panel, they should be experts in the field, but do not necessarily have to have a PhD. They usually do, but it’s not a requirement.

Every country does their PhDs slightly differently, and maybe this is a case of Prof. Reynolds being unfamiliar with the Hungarian system (as am I). It certainly sounds like a bit of stitch-up, with an overly-friendly exam panel. But it doesn’t sound like a fake PhD. Please, in these times of fake everything, let’s use the word carefully. A poor PhD is not the same as a fake PhD.

Now, to the real problem. Who let the thesis through with two colons in the title? That should never have been allowed.

3 Likes

The problem may be that your soon to arrive degree isn’t fake. Those in power now LIKE fake.

5 Likes

Most people who have received a PhD use the title Doctor - it is a doctorate in philosophy after all. What they don’t usually do is insist on being called Dr… PhD as the terms are synonymous.

1 Like

the use of “doctor” by people holding a medical degree is purely honorific.
real doctors hold a PhD
yours sincerely, the real Dr Posters.

7 Likes

No, but they are rootless and you can create no algebra to find them.

1 Like

My rule of thumb is that when your opponents stop debating your ideas and start attacking your credentials, it means you’ve won the debate … sorry, folks, but Señor Gorka wins this round, doctor or not.

Regards to all,

w.

Thanks from the real doctor mindy!

9 Likes

Not a Bond villain, a cheap Alan Rickman knockoff.

4 Likes

His credentials and work product* are being attacked on the basis of their not being those of the best, really the classiest people that were promised to the Amercian public as advisors to the regime on serious matters. On that basis, it is not Gorka who is being attacked but rather the man-child and right-wing authoritarian henchmen who hired him for an important post.

Gorka’s ideas, as a separate but related issue, have already been thoroughly debunked as empty xenophobic nonsense that his poor man’s Blofeld act can’t disguise. He lost that round long ago.

All that before we get to his enthusiasms for a Nazi collaborationist regime, which might be regarded by anyone with a shred of decency as a loss for both him and for his boss.

[* to describe it generously]

8 Likes

Also:

Which Gorka definitely isn’t.

3 Likes

Don’t be silly. Yours is the result of hard work and knowledge gained, and non-trivial funds. How could it possibly be worth more than something these men spent hard-inherited money on?

(this is very bitter sarcasm in case anyone isn’t clear on that).

8 Likes

if you have a real PhD, it is quite the accomplishment. Harder than earning a Bachelor of Laws, or a Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery.

1 Like

Thanks, gracchus. You say that “His credentials and work product* are being attacked”. I fear I don’t find anything but attacks on his credentials. Perhaps you could quote what someone says about his actual ideas (and not just “he’s a Nazi”, I mean his actual ideas).

w.