Sweaters that fool facial recognition

Originally published at: Sweaters that fool facial recognition | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Protect your facial biometric data with knit wear?

Seems legit.

18 Likes

Now is the time to buy a Lemonjelly t-shirt

11 Likes

In the future, The One can knit Terminator-defeating sweaters.

11 Likes

In a shocking twist, it turns out that you really just need to wear Argyle Socks.

9 Likes

The legendary Ugly Shirt from William Gibson! I did see it as an MA piece from the Netherlands IIRC a good few years ago but we will have to update these things regularly I guess.

5 Likes

So the trolley algorithm would run you down because human lives are prioritized over animals?

6 Likes

Or because of your ugly shirt, which is, after all, arguably justifiable.

11 Likes

It would be ironic if the way to evade authoritarian facial tracking were to wear a t-shirt of a bald eagle in front of an American flag background. Or a three wolves shirt.

10 Likes

I love Lemon Jelly! Kneel Before Your God!

4 Likes

7 Likes

IDK if LSD is is involved maybe.

4 Likes

From what I understand (not much), they just have to feed the sweater/image/pattern into the self learning mix and that solves the issue. I’ll google it later but has anyone else heard this or did my brain just make it up?

5 Likes

And the first time you cross the street, you’ll be run down by a self-driving Tesla.

10 Likes

Came here for ‘ugly sweater’ comment; was not disappointed. Are they trying to resurrect the 1980s batwing shirt?

6 Likes

To be fair, that doesn’t require you to be wearing the shirt.

14 Likes

Something I’ve wondered about these kinds of adversarial attacks on facial recognition is how well they work across different facial recognition softwares. My understanding is that they were high specific to one system at a given point in time, not necessarily even working with later versions of the same software. It’d be nice if one ugly shirt (sweater/hoodie) could work universally… (until you want to cross the street and not get hit by a self-driving automobile, that is).

7 Likes

I’d prefer the version that is recognised as “nothing”, since I expect “zebra” to be quite a unique trackable identifier in a city scene.

3 Likes

Maybe there’s a certain QR code one could put on your sweater to make facial recognition software download malicious software?

8 Likes

Really give it to 'em.

3 Likes