Sweden's Loreen wins Eurovision for the second time, here's her performance

Originally published at: Sweden's Loreen wins Eurovision for the second time, here's her performance | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Finland was robbed.

I’m sure the jury was excited to throw it to this boring (but talented) belter’s performance so that Sweden could host on the 50th anniversary of ABBA’s win. But there were so many more imaginative, joyful, creative, and weird entries this year.

9 Likes

Will Ferrell Dancing GIF by NETFLIX

Needs more Volcano Man

1 Like
1 Like

I kept hearing “The Winner Takes It All” in my head while listening to this one. Maybe because that’s ABBA and it has something to do with Swedish people singing in English.

3 Likes

yeesh

I’m not so sure I’d say that Finland was robbed… but I’d definitively say that there was a lot of boring juries out there who could not appreciate the genius that was the Finish song. That would haw fixed it. I’m happy for Loreen (full disclosure: I’m Swedish) but I wouldn’t mind (really hoped for) Finland to win it this time. And don’t blame us, Finland got top marks from both the people and (!) Swedish jury.

Anyway, love Eurovision, a real spectacle for ages.

5 Likes

One problem they have is that under the new(ish) system, the voting is presented the ‘wrong’ way around, but there isn’t really a way to do it the ‘right’ way simply due to time constraints. What they should be doing is zipping through the jury votes so that we get an initial chart spread that will indicate the likely general final standings, and then have the public vote presented in the traditional way to create that fabulous tension as an unrated outsider suddenly pushes up the list and threatens the perceived favourites.
But there are so many technical and logistical reasons why this would be difficult that I do completely understand why they can’t. Which is a shame, because this year was a perfect example of how that can happen - and it wouldn’t have taken much of a dent to Sweden from the main juries for there to have been an upset right at the end… (I mean, sure, it would have been amazingly unlikely, but you never know.)

Anyway, the UK and Germany were both hard done by this year. They were nowhere near the worst songs or presentations, but again I think the ‘big 5’ always suffer hugely from not being in the semi-finals.

2 Likes

There’s probably a couple more songs with a similar structure. It’s akin to the Millenial whoop which tickles people’s fancy because of its familiarity.

1 Like

In 2009 Sweden was represented by Malena Ernman, whose daughter you have probably undoubtedly heard of.

Contacting his patent lawyer.

2 Likes

Daily top 50

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

That stilsuit has a lot of gaps in it. I don’t think it’s going to help her survive very long on Arakkis.

4 Likes

Finland was absolutely robbed. Also, watch the live performance, not the official music video, as their tones are wildly different, and the live performance is vastly superior.

2 Likes

I assumed the costume was made from skin flayed by those terrifying scary nails from her victims. It was a terrific song though - there’s a stripped back acoustic version that is even better.

Definitely think Sam Ryder’s interval act should have been the UK’s entry:

Possibly with Mel ‘churning butter’ in the background:

And a massive well-deserved success for Liverpool, a city that deserves much more love.

3 Likes

The quasi-Dune aesthetic was honestly all over Eurovision this year.

2 Likes

Surprised to learn the Eurovision song contest goes back as far as 1956!