Swordsman slices 100mph baseball in two

What makes this feat exceptional is the combination of the necessarily very smooth drawing of the katana’s razor sharp ‘live’ blade (shinken) from the thin wood scabbard (saya) in time and with enough accuracy to slice the ball in half. If you screw up any part of the movement, you could end up very badly cut by the blade piercing or splitting the saya.
Notice both hands in motion; the left draws the saya back to faster clear the blade while the right extends the handle (tsuka) straight forward. The saya and katana are rotated simultaneously so the end of the blade can clear the mouth of the saya and orient the cutting edge for the swing to split the ball.

1 Like

wonder no more.
although these are hardly fastballs.

That may be correct for old-fashioned trebuchet-style pitching machines, but modern ones spit the ball out between two rapidly spinning discs. adjust the relative speed of the two discs to get any spin you want; plus the entire assembly can be rotated to set the plane of the discs to any angle you want.

It simply isn’t the same. You would have to build a machine with many more contact points on the ball to simulate the the forces applied to the ball by a human pitcher. I’m sure it’s possible, but to my knowledge not a thing at this time.

But he was only 9.22 meters away, pretty much exactly half as far as a home base is from the pitcher’s mound

1 Like

I’d argue it’s easier what he does. The batter has to swing the bat and he just seemed to stick it out. Now keep in mind I couldn’t do either. But I think a mlb player hitting a live 100mph pitch with movement is harder.

And that’s if you know it’s coming, which you don’t- you can only guess.

Take THAT, Mr. Split finger fastball.

I thoroughly enjoyed that “Whoooooaaaaa” at 0:27…

… and especially when heard at 1/4 speed playback.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.