Systems of education and its discontents

A report on college closures, enrollment, funding, and institutional/management issues:

3 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

5 Likes

Seems weird that someone could teach English Comp at Penn State Abingdon from 2018 - 2022 and not have a single rating in ratemyprofessors.com from his time on that campus.

3 Likes
2 Likes

The Reveal podcast covered what’s going on at New College in Florida. I can’t imagine being a student there and watching a hellscape form from what used to be a safe place that promoted growth.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s nuts. DeSantis has given colleges two years to switch accreditors. This cannot be an easy task. And there are a finite number of accreditors that are relevant anyway. So aside from SACS, in the South, where are they going to go? The Council on Chiropractic Education? The Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools?

5 Likes

Are you allowed to block ratings being publicly posted, or perhaps once you’re no longer employed at a certain educational institute, your account is scrubbed?

4 Likes

Translation: all schools in Florida are going to lose federal and perhaps regional accreditation if he keeps doing what he’s doing, which means no out-of-state money coming in?

5 Likes

I see there’s a button where people can claim to be the faculty member and respond. I see that mine are up for previous institutions (lies! all lies! except the nice stuff). Their guidelines claim they won’t remove anything because it’s negative, though I know they’ve removed racist/sexist stuff.

Guidelines:

6 Likes

Yep. If they opt-out of the voluntary system of approved accreditors, then the institutions and their faculty and students cannot get federal grant money.

So, expect to see less of this kind of bragging:

In 2020-21, FSU graduate students received over $4,000,000 in highly prestigious and competitive national, international, and state-funded external fellowships and awards to support their research and scholarly activities.

Other federal funding may be jeopardized, I don’t know.

5 Likes

I was also thinking about the bare minimum of charging out-of-state students more to go to the public universities in that state, plus prospective students not wanting to go to even a private college there either due to the politics fascism.

4 Likes

Whoever does accreditation for Liberty University? It’s not like they have standards.

3 Likes

They’re accredited through SACS, same as most public 4-year colleges in the South.

3 Likes

I’m surprised. From direct experience with “science” graduates from Liberty, they don’t actually teach science.

4 Likes

That’s not surprising. Accreditation doesn’t usually get that deep into the weeds. Which is why this is all so funny.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Fuckin A right

4 Likes

What I noticed when my kids were growing up is that the white middle class parents were the most fierce in getting their kids involved in everything, with the express purpose of trying to get them into the best college possible. Why? Because they understood that once someone hits that new plateau, it provides a new minimum level for the next generations. If your kid goes to X college, then your grandkids are probably going to be able to get into X college as well, if not even bump up another level. Parents know it’s not a meritocracy, so they overbook their kids in the activities that seem to be the best components for entry. The parents who had already reached the pinnacle of going to either the Ivies, or the other similar-level schools like Stanford, or the top state schools like U of Michigan were not as worried about their kids, because they knew they had a near-guarantee.

That only happens because meritocracy isn’t actually a thing.

10 Likes

Yes. My only quibble is that they mistakenly believe this is what meritocracy means. “We each start at the levels bequeathed upon us by our families, and see how we rise from there.”

8 Likes

4 Likes