Systems of education and its discontents

Cool GIF by ION

7 Likes

Oh, I guess I should cross post this here. Newly minted PhD trying to teach a course, but ONE student makes her life hell:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Archive version: https://archive.ph/fWvgy

and, also:

1 Like

The bottom line: The expanded eligibility moves Indiana to a near-universal voucher program, as it’s estimated that fewer than 5% of households make too much to qualify.

Nearly 100% of families in the state will be eligible, and based on last year’s smaller pool of vouchers, nearly 100% of those vouchers will go to religious schools.

https://www.axios.com/local/indianapolis/2023/07/24/indiana-private-school-vouchers

2 Likes

It’s segregation schools all over again…

5 Likes

Lower test scores, lower GPA, the school isn’t even accepted in any collegiate sports association yet, and yet the new ‘scholar-atheletes’ are getting the lion’s share of merit scholarships, because who wants a high-ranking liberal arts college when you can make sports the real focus instead?

2 Likes

Turning schools into prisons.

1 Like

I think part of the problem is that all sorts of involved players and decision makers feel a panicked rush to “get on board” with AI.

It’s happening, it’s right now, we gotta incorporate it, we gotta show that we’re incorporating it, gaaaah!

5 Likes

looks at AI widget here

Fuming Pretty In Pink GIF

Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

I blame the ongoing corporization of education, personally.

7 Likes

Spotify playlists have had various levels of machine learning underpinning them for years.

One of the things that really launched the ML competition site Kaggle was Spotify offering a giant stack of cash for making a model that would be good at recommending another track to someone.

2 Likes
1 Like

Question of the day: Where are the kindergartners?

I didn’t realize this was an ongoing issue. It’s something that’s apparently impacting my youngest’s school. Her kindergarten teacher, who had to be hired in mid-fall because the original teacher left, was let go over the summer due to lower enrollment.

2 Likes

A follow-up to the shenanigans at New College in Florida:

2 Likes
1 Like

Gift Link:

I wish I could say this shocks me, but it really fucking doesn’t. This is what you get when you have an entire cultural movement dedicated to tearing down anything that will help the public good, and instead try to make everything look like corporate America.

What Do You Expect To Happen West Side Story GIF by filmeditor

8 Likes

My alma mater joins the enshittification. But, E. Gordan Gee was one of the board of directors of that University of Austin scam a few years back. Sadly, it does not surprise me that he would join in making WVU into an industrial trade school.

5 Likes

I’m going to agree with both you and @Mindysan33. And I’m going to add that at the same time, we have tenured faculty who refuse to teach anything other than the same vanity courses using the same boring lecture material that they’ve had for 20 years. The “curriculum” in the major isn’t “curriculum” it’s a collection of specialized courses that certain faculty like to teach, but provide no real coherence to the major.

You probably know that each state has rules for public institutions about how many majors you have to graduate each year in order to have a program, and it’s administered by a higher ed board. (SCHEV in Virginia, ACHE in Alabama). It’s generally calculated on a 3-year rolling average. In my own state it’s 7.5 per year, on average, for undergraduate baccalaureate programs. It was the same in my last state as well.

If you’re below that for some number of years, you get a warning. It doesn’t matter your subject, if you can’t maintain the numbers, and if you don’t come up with big reforms to the major that seem to revamp the program in a way to attract new majors, the state makes you “teach out” the program and close down the major. You can still teach courses in the subject, you just don’t have a degree program anymore. So tenured historians are generally safe, job-wise, because while the university might not have a history major, the university will always want to have history surveys in its Gen Ed programs. But people with degrees in Physics, Chinese, etc etc are generally not safe because without a major they generally don’t fulfill a requirement. Sad, but that’s the structure.

My own department major is under the gun. We have a horrible curriculum, loaded down with silly courses the “old guard” love to teach. However, those classes rarely meet enrollment minimums, so while they get scheduled they also get canceled a week or two before the semester starts, with faculty reassigned to teach surveys. And when the administration shows up to say “the state tells us that you have 3 years to turn it around, or we’ll have to make plans to teach out the major” how do the Old Guard respond? “How can we get the state to change its rules?” “Maybe the numbers aren’t correct?” “Maybe we can ask for an exemption, because we have to have a history major?” and “History major numbers are down all over, so we should be excused.”

Meantime, the “Younger Guard,” along with full-time lecturers and adjuncts – people who will lose their jobs if the major goes away – have great ideas. “Hey, we should focus our major on Civil Rights since, you know, we’re here in the heart of it!” “Maybe a focus on rural history, more Alabama history? My students ask for that a lot.” Which is met with “No way! Students need to take my course on the Reformation, which I absolutely will not adjust to include the Renaissance because that’s out of my period” and “But my six different-topic courses on Ancient Rome, what about those?”

So, yes, I agree, this is the result of a national campaign against the Liberal Arts, and one which is dumbing us down considerably. But we’ve got a lot of rot on the inside, and that rot sits on cushiony tenured jobs and have no incentive to make things better.

5 Likes

Fancy new buildings, you say? While getting rid of various Humanities programs?

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

4 Likes