Systems of education and its discontents

By post-truth, I wonder if they mean post-modern… because liberals as well as conservatives have had it in for the postmodern turn in philosophy for years now…? That includes the shift to a greater focus on queer and ethnic studies, too.

Guess I read it and find out!

1 Like

Save yourself some time. Here’s a quick summary…

“DEI is bad”

2 Likes

Yep.

The Atlantic is really hit and miss, isn’t it.

3 Likes

tina fey eye roll GIF

I’ll read it anyway, but why am I not surprised from the Atlantic…

Kenan Thompson Yes GIF by Paramount+

4 Likes

4 Likes

Oh look it’s Peter Thiel but attacking Education, instead of Media.

Yay.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This is bad. This is really bad.

1 Like

I read this yesterday and was baffled. There are certainly unknowns here, and I claim no inside knowledge, but the optics are terrible. An HBCU, where a white higher administrator is abusing a popular Black officer to the point of suicide is truly awful. I struggle to think of any “rest of the story” that will make this not an awful, terrible story. And I ache for the family and loved ones of the woman who died. Good Lord, what a swamp!

1 Like

I cannot understand why she was denied a request for leave when she was experiencing depression and asked for help. I mean…I can understand it, intellectually. It’s racism. But it’s just … ugh. I don’t even have words. Too many people still view mental health as some sort of moral failure instead of an actual health issue. And that goes double when the person is black woman. Just like that celebrity doctor Mindy posted about who said black women complain too much. This is just the most tragic example of that attitude.

5 Likes

That’s fucking enraging… the dude clearly failed up into the position of university president. He was a coach prior to being president… WTAF? That poor woman…

5 Likes

I know. And not for nothing, but why did an HBCU hire a white man to be President? I’d bet the State of Missouri got involved in that somehow. That state was solidly purple when I moved there in 2008. It’s moved to far to the right since then.

5 Likes

Damn. That’s horrifying. Higher education should not be a life-and-death occupation, ever. I agree with @docosc – I don’t know anything about the inside story, but from the outside this seems massive disaster. Beloved administrators are foundational for a functional institution and should be taken care of. Candia-Bailey should have been valued and supported. I’m sad for her loss, both for her loved ones and the school.

6 Likes

This article is a nice companion to the John Oliver piece on home schooling from a few months back. Both cover the poor research (home school families self-selecting into studies comparing test results) and abuses undiscovered at home, but the article puts a face to the movement and the propaganda.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

3 Likes

“That’s not writing, that’s typing”

2 Likes

Small confusion for me in that piece:

Now we have generative AI and ChatGPT

I thought that the latter is an example of the former, not something different?

Yes, and even worse than when that line was (deservedly, I think) tossed at Kerouac, it’s now not even typing by a human.

2 Likes

The kids are alright.

9 Likes