Systems of education and its discontents

5 Likes

The world is a complicated place. Peopleā€”their histories and identities, their institutions and work processes, their fears and desiresā€”are simply too complex to be captured in a worksheet with a paragraph and some reading comprehension questions. Large-scale prose writing is the best medium we have for capturing that complexity, and the education system should not be in the business of keeping students from learning how to engage effectively with it.

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

That is why we need the humanitiesā€¦

11 Likes
2 Likes

This is really frightening.

1 Like

Cross-posted from the BLM thread:

3 Likes

Would a white aithor have to go through this? They already said a Holocaust survivor would. I would assume an LGBTQ author would never make it that far. Fucking assholes all the way downā€¦

7 Likes

Apparently the parent authorization form for guests in the classroom is new. Guess when it was implemented?

6 Likes
9 Likes

https://www.chronicle.com/article/harvard-last-in-free-speech-dont-trust-fires-rankings

7 Likes

Here is an archived version, because for some reason, when I pulled the story up, it was just blank where the text should have been? :thinking:

https://archive.ph/Yhk4A

5 Likes
10 Likes

I bet i can take a pretty good guess at exactly what kind of ā€œbiasā€ they are targeting. Facts? We donā€™t need no stinking facts! We have opinios, those ate much better! God, i hate this timeline!

9 Likes

I got a C in my Ordinary Differential Equations class because the prof is a registered Democrat and he knows I think the 2020 election was stolen from Trump. UNFAIR!

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

This is more going to be used to go after professors in history, sociology, and literature classes, Iā€™d imagine. But that just means everyone is vulnerable now.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

WTAFā€¦ this isnā€™t creepy surveillance shit at allā€¦ /s

Multiple cameras spread throughout the room will take attendance, monitor whether students are paying attention and detect their emotional states, including whether they are bored, distracted or confused.

These are just systems of control that ultimately violate our privacy and independence. It assumes that ALL students learn the same way or that there is a singular way to get an education. As long as my students do their work and complete their assignments, and are there most of the time, I donā€™t care. And if they donā€™tā€¦ thatā€™s on them, no me.

9 Likes

Damn it, what the hell is wrong with people? We are dealing with so much anxiety in our kids now, shit like this does not help!

9 Likes

god damn it season 8 GIF by Shameless

6 Likes

As someone with inattentive type ADHD, I have always been called out for doing stuff while listening. Usually doodling, sometimes scrolling my phone. People assume that means Iā€™m not paying attention, when the reality is if Iā€™m not doing something like that, Iā€™m so focused on staying focused that I am no longer paying attention.

This technology would be disastrous for me. I mean, sure it looks like Iā€™m not paying attention but I managed to get myself an honours degree so maybe let people who need to distract parts of their brain in order to pay attention to the lesson do that?

9 Likes