Systems of education and its discontents

Exactly right… of course, some people have a diagnosis for ADHD, etc, and can get help for that (extra time on tests, etc) but not everyone does, and not everyone’s learning style is the same.

This is just a bad idea all around.

8 Likes

I still don’t have a formal diagnosis and probably never will. All I know is when my doctor prescribed concerta, it was night and day how much better I was able to perform. I didn’t get that prescription until I was 43, but still managed to get through school with honours, build a solid career (one that my neurotype is well suited for thankfully) and all that.

If I had been snitched on by some facial recognition BS, all it would have done is make me perform WORSE because I’d be constantly trying to avoid getting in trouble, which is something I already had to do without being monitored constantly.

I often wonder how much better I would have done if people had realized that the ‘smart lazy kid’ wasn’t actually lazy, but neurodivergent, and gotten treatment as a kid. But I have inattentive type, with minimal hyperactivity, so I wasn’t distracting the rest of the class meaning they just kept telling me how disappointed they were and that I should try harder.

9 Likes

It really does suck how many women fall through the cracks on neurodivergence…

Best Friends Hug GIF

But yeah, this will be a disaster for so many people, but I suspect that that is the goal. They really want only certain people to be able to get a college education these days, and all of this (and the right wing attacks on academia) just seems to be part of that.

7 Likes

Working in IT, a large percentago of the people I work with show signs of neurodivergence. I’m not gonna diagnose my coworkers, but I suspect denying opportunity for people who struggle with traditional schooling will have a very negative effect on the workplace as a whole. Not to mention society.

11 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

There are better ways to educate people other than to batter them into line… It doesn’t move anything forward in society, but I suspect that’s the point. Shove people back into their “proper” place and pretend like we’re all just interchangeable cogs.

8 Likes

Such a depressing view of the future that. How do they expect to innovate when creativity is suppressed and everyone is confined to a predetermined role? Just like elimination of DEI initiatives, it will only result in society becoming stagnant and derivative, while the parts of the world that recognize and celebrate diversity of all types will move ahead. These dicks really will cost the US it’s dominant place in the world, though it might take a while for it to really become apparent. The people pushing this are all a bunch of shortsighted hateful a-holes. /rant

8 Likes

Exactly, but of course, not everyone wants to move forward. Some just want to preserve the power they have over others…

Yep… but as long as they can keep other down, that’s what they care about.

8 Likes

Cross posting from the follow up thread…

6 Likes

I think it’s even simpler than that: they want to make it so difficult that fewer people even TRY to get a college education.

10 Likes

I just learned about the term “twice exceptional,” which covers essentially that. It’s when you’re intellectually gifted but have a neurodivergence or learning disability. People are underdiagnosed for this because the kid could just seem lazy (a friend of mine diagnosed as 2e also described himself as a “smart lazy kid”) and the disability can be masked by remarkable performance. We’ve been underserving generations of people by not asking the right questions about what makes certain kids “tick” and supporting them in the ways they need.

And monitoring students in the way proposed is not to way to go for so many reasons. Because this isn’t what they’re monitoring for. And facial recognition continues to fail, especially for people of color.

But at least there will be new discussion points for every class reading 1984.

9 Likes

Yep… they want college, especially the humanities to only be for rich white men again.

8 Likes

Oh that’s interesting. I definitely fall into that category, and having it recognized as a kid would have made my entire life a lot easier.

I was in a gifted program in elementary school, but did not do especially well given my ADHD. High school I was in the normal track with a few enriched classes here and there and I barely squeaked out of 12th grade with decent enough grades in most classes and a severe case of depression. After taking time off I was able to get through the depression, made up a couple classes I had not done well in at night school, and went to university where I did excel - because I was able to direct my course load to things that I found interesting.

K-12 education is really badly suited to someone like me who is smart, interested in almost everything, but hates authority, deadlines, and busy work. I am glad I made it through to where I could really excel, but the psychological damage it dealt is still something I’m working to overcome today at 46.

13 Likes

Around here, at least, the school system is focused on getting kids out. Period. Any kids who require more investment to get that done are treated poorly, whether due to disabilities or TAG abilities. The goal seems to be uniformity. “Gifted” kids tend to challenge that, because their “gifts” are never uniformly distributed. They are great in math, but terrible in English, or PE, or just challenge the teachers. The (I think) Japanese wisdom of “the nail that stands out will be pounded down” is in action all the friggin’ time.

13 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

Lawmakers OK volunteer chaplains in public schools; civil rights groups say it’s unconstitutional

‘We urge the governor to veto this bill immediately,’ said Kara Gross, legislative director at the ACLU of Florida

8 Likes

ACLU attacking it on one side, I’m sure the Satanic Temple are preparing to attack it on the other side.

6 Likes

(Never mind. On re-read, I think I understand what you’re saying.)

2 Likes
10 Likes

So, someone deeply in bed with and invested in a :cn: company is out to dismantle :us: education?

Tell me why this individual hasn’t had an uncomfortable chat over a cup of :tea: with people who dissemble a bit about which government department they work for?

8 Likes
8 Likes