Systems of education and its discontents

For example, a book about Native American history called “We Are Still Here” had a note that read “negative slant on white people,” while a note on the immigration story “My Two Border Towns,” read “our country has no room and it’s not fair,” according to The Gothamist. The outlet stated that another book thrown out was about singer and activist Nina Simone, which had a note that read: "This is about how Black people were treated poorly but overcame it. (Can go both ways)." ABC News could not independently verify this information.

WTAF?? I know Staten Island is much more red than NY in general, but holy shit, this is awful!

8 Likes

NAEP data shows that learning loss occurred during the pandemic, with loss levels slightly greater for kids who were in virtual or hybrid schooling situations. Honestly, nothing new, but it’s more data for conservatives to try to pass off as “we were right” stats.

It also points out that learning loss was greater in areas if poverty. Again, nothing new and just another thing that will be pointed to as how harmful closing schools was. Completely ignores the underlying issue of inequity and how children in those areas will always be most adversely affected no matter what because we’re doing nothing to improve their quality of education and life.

6 Likes

This belongs here, trust me…

4 Likes

13 Likes

Sounds good, doesn’t it? Yeah, no:

Supporters of the measure say it will make universities more accepting of conservative students and academics. But many professors worry the law could put their careers in jeopardy for what they say, or don’t say, in the classroom.

“I’d say it ends tenure in the state of Indiana as we know it,” said Ben Robinson, associate professor of Germanic Studies at Indiana University.

Tenure is supposed to mean indefinite employment for professors, where they can only be fired for cause or some extraordinary circumstance. According to Robinson, the status “allows faculty the freedom to pursue their inquiries and their teaching without fear of reprisal.”

But some academics in the state are worried that the new law allows university boards of trustees to interfere with tenure, which normally is handled by university departments.

Also:

The law also creates a system where students and staff can submit complaints that could be considered in tenure reviews.

Indiana is the third state, after Florida and Texas, to redefine tenure in recent years. A survey of Florida faculty found that after its law passed, nearly half of professors said they planned to seek employment in another state.

“We are seeing the brain drain that we predicted in Texas and Florida, and I think Indiana will follow suit there,” Mulvey said.

8 Likes

So many topics where this could go…

“We’re managing mental health challenges, loneliness and … discrimination — the slurs that we’re seeing students use, some of that emanates from what’s on social media,” she added.

This includes our school board.

Of course, Premier Doug Ford disagrees with the move.

5 Likes

I heard a story once of someone doing his PhD Thesis defence, sitting in a room with a group of very eminent academics, all trying to pick holes in his thesis.

He sat there for the allotted time, and as they were wrapping up and congratulating him, he reached into his bag and pulled out a bottle of 20 year-old single malt. As he poured himself a shot, he invited all present to open his thesis, and read the footnote on page mumblety-eleven, which stated that the bottle went to the first person to mention that footnote during the defence.

13 Likes

I don’t know… I think I just find that kind of depressing… that the whole thing is less about moving forward our understanding of the world, and more about people showing how very clever they are? But maybe this whole set of institutions was always bullshit gatekeeping, meant to uphold white, male supremacy, rather than to help us to better understand reality? Maybe I’m stupid for ever believing that we could do better and that I tried to work within a system that didn’t really want to improve the world, but enrich a select group?

5 Likes

I see where you’re coming from, but I don’t think there’s reason to despair.

For a start, this isn’t a “This is a thing that happened”, this is “once upon a time…”. It doesn’t even count as FOAF, it’s “I heard a story about this guy, a long time ago, somewhere, it doesn’t matter where.” So to that extent it’s just an anecdote about the little guy showing up the people with power in a small, meaningful, but ultimately inconsequential way.

At a deeper level, it doesn’t say he didn’t deserve the degree: you don’t get to the point of defending your thesis without some sort of chops to back it up. (It’s the Stephen Bradbury win: people think he only won by default, but he actually won by not making a mistake, and he was only able to do that by being good enough in his own right to be there in the first place.) It’s also possible to read the anecdote as that the actual defence part was being treated as a formality, so he made a bet that they would. That they weren’t going over every single page as readers with the same exacting deliberation that he had in writing it… but that doesn’t mean they hadn’t read it at all, or that they weren’t ready to engage on the important points and assumptions, and further, he was fully prepared to meet them and answer them. And he did so in all good faith, before it made his reveal. Or so the story goes, anyway.

At another level, there have been people who’ve lied and cheated their way into degrees. Sometimes they’re caught at the time, sometimes afterwards, sometimes decades later. But the whole point of the process is that most of those who try it are caught, or weeded out before they get to that point.

Also, does anyone doubt that academic panels and the process can be, and has been used for gatekeeping as much as for progress? You have to find a supervisor, you have to satisfy the (sometimes mindlessly contradictory) whims of the reviewers (when my father was going through reviews of his doctoral thesis, he got feedback from one reviewer that all instances of “that are” must be changed to “which are”, and from another that the reverse was mandatory), you have to have access to funding and resources. And yet, knowledge increases, and the process continues to work, for the most part.

So even in the cases that people lie to get degrees, and that the academic process is used to gatekeep and block the unpopular/unconnected worthy as well as the unworthy, that doesn’t mean there’s a reason to be pessimistic about the idea of it, or despair at its implementation. It just means, like with so much else, that we have to be vigilant about that sort of failure mode, and crush it when it appears.

3 Likes

I understand how academia works, and I don’t need it explained to me? I have a phd. My problem is that it works to uphold power structures rather than really examine them?

glad to know where I stand in the world?

2 Likes

I was explaining my understanding of it, with the full understanding that I might well be wrong.

I know you know.

If anything I was hoping that if anything I said was wrong, that you would be best placed to correct me.

I understand your concern, but do not share it. That’s all I meant to say.

I don’t see how that was an attack: there are people who get degrees who do not deserve them, and others who will never get one who do. I did not meant to imply that you were in either category: I do not doubt for a moment that you earned your qualifications. If I implied otherwise, I apologise unreservedly.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not an attack on your part, but as I’m one of the many, many phds without full time employment, that means it’s that I’m “unpopular and unconnected” and it feels pretty shitty to have wasted my life for this to be the outcome.

5 Likes

It can teach high school English too.

4 Likes

yeah… I’m just… wondering about that. I mean, broad swaths of the public really do seem to hold educators (from pre-school teachers to college professors - all of us) in some deep contempt already. If they think that all of our jobs can be replaced by either lowly paid, overworked temp workers (me - or proletarinizing (sp?) the education profession) or by automation, won’t they push for that? After all, actual human beings might have “problematic” beliefs, such as that education is a right for all children, or that we need to address systemic racism, or that we need to treat trans kids with care, love, and respect… We’re seeing attacks on public education across the board, and I’m not sure that AI is going to be used to help educators as much as some are going to use it to try and replace educators… And of course, it’ll do a worse job of educating, but since far too many people don’t see educators as providing a critical service, that it’s something people do if they can’t do “real” work, they won’t care if there is some means to replace them…

5 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, I was just going to link to that. Unfortunately, it’s all true.

My last department was strongly encouraging me to make my assignments machine-gradable. Their business model was to take video lectures (which I recorded at home with my own gear) and market them to online students. That class would be supported by precarious staff answering questions 24/7. I was working at a reasonably respectable UK university (which is about to make redundant more than one hundred academic staff in the second “restructure” in three years).

10 Likes

Nearly two decades ago, a top mind in my field invited me to join him at his new department. I very politely declined, mostly because I’d already been in business for 6 years. I felt bad because he’s a great guy and, if you had asked teenage me what I wanted to do in life, it was exactly that.

Every now and then I regret the decision. Then I’m reminded… :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m guessing Peter Turchin doesn’t have a lot of fans here on the BBS? I can only find one post where his name appears. :thinking:

4 Likes

I find that one of the most frustrating kinds of AI hype is when people who are actually in a position to use their own expertise to push back instead give in to the FOMO and do the hype for tech companies. Today’s case in point is a recent article in The Chronicle of Higher EducationAI Will Shake Up Higher Ed. Are Colleges Ready?’ (February 26, 2024). CHE positions itself as “the nation’s largest newsroom dedicated to covering colleges and universities” whose “newsroom is home to top experts in higher education who contribute to the ongoing conversation on the issues that matter.” And so I would expect coverage that is starts from a deep understanding of what it is that educators do in the nation’s colleges and universities.

(Fear Of Missing Out.)

Podcast extending the article.

After they recorded this, I hope there was nearby establishment with an extended Happy Hour, because it sounded like they needed a few.

8 Likes

Rockingham County recently elected a MAGAt majority to the school board. I posted a little while ago about their efforts to ban books that talked about Black and LGBT + people, like, at all. Well, they decided that was not evil enough. They just voted to cut or reassign the positions of all full time and part time school counselors and Behavior Support Assistants. This was dropped on us with no warning. We have way too many kids who rely on these folks to make it through school, and in a moment of MAGAt “rescuing our children from woke” they are gone. Our mental health providers are swamped. We have no spare bandwidth. I have no idea what we do with this information, other than despair. Elections matter, folks. Elections for school board may not seem worth your while, but they very much are. Even if you don’t have kids in school (all the new members either home school or send their kids to private school) it matters. Just shrieking into the void. I have no answers that will do anything at all… I plan to go play in my garden.

14 Likes
10 Likes