Systems of education and its discontents

Most education in America has become focused on desk work. Chalk boards have been replaced with electronic screens or whiteboards. There are very few opportunities to do things with your hands. Now there are plenty of kids who use fidget gadgets and the tactile strips as a way to help reduce stress and maintain focus.
From the start of the movement to educate every child there has been a model of quiet children in rows doing quiet work at desks. That this idea has nothing in common with how kids actually behave or learn hasnā€™t changed (enough) how kids get taught. Until recently they were told to sit still and a failure to do so was treated as a moral failure. We still insist that there is a ā€œrightā€ way to think, learn, and behave in a classroom. I guess I see a tie-in with changes in how certain behavior is explained and accommodated for, and the growing acceptance of neurodiversity in general.

4 Likes

Agreed. The first e-book I read was a bit of an experiment. I put Danaā€™s ā€œTwo Years Before the Mastā€ on my Palm Vx PDA for the train in 1999, and it was OK. Putting the newspaper website on a Palm Vx didnā€™t work at all.

I find linear material fine on my e-reader, a bit less so on my current phone because of interruptions (even though I have so few apps on it that the battery lasts about a week). If I have a textbook or academic paper, or some other reason to have to flip around a lot and make notations, then the phone or e-reader doesnā€™t work as well. My kids seem to have come to about the same opinion; one of them has gone back to physical books for most things.

5 Likes

I just checked and OpenDyslexic is an option on the Kindle. I thought it was, my bestie uses it. He likes to listen to the audio and read along.

Were you unaware or referring to something else?

6 Likes

Unawareā€¦thank you!

Let me see if I can figure it out. And then, Libby!

8 Likes

11 Likes

Darn it: it seem OpenDyslexia is only for writing, and its companion for reading only works on Safari, not book apps themselves.

I read a physical book recently written in OpenDyslexia, and it was fabulous. So much easier and quicker to read.

6 Likes

Really? I can choose OpenDyslexic in both Libby and Kindle apps in the font/appearance menus
I wonder if I completely misunderstood what you were asking :thinking:

7 Likes

The president of the college declared, "As a result of Professor Deanā€™s comments, there now may be students on our campus who feel threatened in or outside of the classroom.ā€

This is as outrageous as it is absurd. While such moves are increasingly common on campus, I want to remind people that for years, decades in fact, political theorists, philosophers, historians, sociologists, and more, have been teaching texts like Jodiā€™s to their classes. The subjects she raisesā€”and the need to engage with the questions that those subjects raiseā€”are part of any normal college curriculum: What rights to oppressed people have to resist? What methods and meansā€”including violenceā€”can they legitimately wield in their resistance? Who speaks for the oppressed? What are the obligations of people not directly involved in the conflict to the oppressed?

Whatā€™s more, the way we teach these issues is by presenting students with strong writing about these issues, writing that takes a stand, and makes people uncomfortable.

Iā€™ve taught texts that defend the actions of John Brown and his confederates, who slaughtered innocent white children in order to retaliate against slavery. Why is Jodiā€™s text any different. And if we acknowledge that we can teach Jodiā€™s text, why canā€™t Jodi teach it herself? (Of course, Jodi was banned not for teaching the text in the classroom but for writing it on a publisherā€™s website.)

And if by writing her text, Jodi makes students feel unsafe, how does my posting that text her make students feel? Am I now also making them feel unsafe?

This discourse of student feelings and student safety was always a dangerous road to drive on, and weā€™re gradually seeing where it takes us: to the know-nothing, anti-intellectual, put-our-fingers-in-our-ears-and-hear-nothing-we-donā€™t-want-to-hear non-culture that weā€™re all living in now.

It reminds me, in a way, of the zone of silence that was created in the slaveholding South, where everyone knew what was going on and no one was allowed to say it. And the more unstable the system grew, the more censorious and repressive it became.

Jodi Deanā€™s piece:

Palestine speaks for everyone | Verso Books

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing that linkā€¦

Higher ed is fucked.

Oscar The Grouch Idk GIF by Sesame Street

9 Likes

Education in general is fucked. Either by active censorship or self-censoring out of fear of exactly this kind of blowback. The increasingly ā€œrightwing is not right enoughā€ kind of attitude of the self-appointed gatekeepers, who have no knowledge of the subject matter, but boy do they have opinions. Yeah, itā€™s a mess. I have no solutions until the fascists are chased out of town completely.

9 Likes

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

8 Likes

Not yet, I hope!

(Bit surprising to hear. We bbs regulars usually arenā€™t so defeatist!)

5 Likes

Some institutions might be, but we should keep in mind that weā€™re more capable than ever before in educating ourselves. Iā€™ve been working on genealogy and looking at census records from the 19th century. Seeing how many people embraced reading and writing after the Civil War is very encouraging. More about why appears as number 1 here:

Now, due to tech we have a lot more options. Focusing on eliminating the digital divide helps to overcome some forms of gatekeeping and censorship. Thatā€™s why the forces of fascism are against programs designed to reduce it.

school house rock vintage GIF

10 Likes

KOReader (available on at least Android, and various legacy e-readers) lets you use any system font, so that would include any number of dyslexia-friendly ones.

Bonus - it is highly anti-distraction. I do not know Iā€™ve got emails or messages when reading.

5 Likes

Acquiesce Whelp GIF

7 Likes

I donā€™t see it as ā€œdefeatistā€ as such, but as an accurate reflection of what we are seeing. Teachers are leaving the field in record numbers, the ones remaining are afraid to teach facts that might make the worst of the fascist ā€œuncomfortable.ā€ We are seeing book banning, state-mandated discrimination, fascist takeovers of school boards. Might not be the case where you are, but certainly is here. There is a fix, but it requires voting the Nazis out, everywhere. Wonā€™t happen tomorrow, though. Watching what is happening to our kids is agonizing.

9 Likes

Okay, and good to hear. I guess we have a different sense of what it means to say something is ā€œfucked.ā€ In my experience itā€™s meant nothing more can be done to fix it.

Right on. Various forms of protest of help too, of course.

6 Likes

That was my original complaint: I canā€™t!

So unfair. Iā€™ll keep working on this. Thanks for the push to not accept the status quo of my individual situation.

8 Likes

Itā€™s so weird you canā€™t and sad. OpenDyslexic is such a basic accommodation!

8 Likes

Tell me about it!

However, by doggedly going through everything yet again at Kindle ā€” using your screen shot as a guide ā€” Iā€™ve found it there, finally! Thank you so much!

But Libby is how I read most books, and that one still eludes me. I will keep trying.

ETA: Recently, the books Iā€™ve been wanting to borrow have been unavailable virtually so Iā€™ve got a stack of physical books, which means there isnā€™t a current book in Libby to read. I finally figured out to ā€˜borrowā€™ something/anything, and once that was in place I see that I can change the font (when availableā€¦.didnā€™t work with magazines) for each specific book. Itā€™s not a universal setting, which is what I was looking for, but it is possible for at least some books in Libby to change the font to the dyslexic one.

PHEW!

Iā€™ve known about the font for years, but never felt I needed it particularly because my learning disabilities are different. Or at least, so I thought. But then I read a physical book in the font, and realized what a difference it made.

This is a good example of how making diverse educational supports available to all ends up helping even when it wasnā€™t expected to be needed. But they need to be easy to find and use!

8 Likes