Systems of education and its discontents

Jane Austen, proud American patriot.

10 Likes

Honest question: Did Jane Austen ever even get the opportunity to visit America? I mean, it was barely even a country when she was alive.

6 Likes

I hate how these stories just take it for granted that young people have no agency to just make up their own minds about things. Meanwhile, the mom:

Her whole life, she had retained their [her Republican, Reagan loving parents] views without question.

and later…

She wasn’t some brainwashed idiot, repeating Republican rhetoric like a robot, she said.

Who’s the indoctrinated one again?

10 Likes

No she did not. She died young, in her 30s. She never married and was dependent on her male relatives for financial support. Traveling to Bath was about as far as she went from home.

I guess the committee really likes the idea of being proud of one’s prejudices. They certainly never read the book.

10 Likes

But she is said to have an unusual connection with America’s pastime

8 Likes

Probably not! Or if they did, it was a long time ago, and they don’t remember much about it…

But this strikes me as them trying to reinforce the idea of western literature as the only proper literature for American students to read. They just looked at a list of literature used in school work, and included her because she’s British, and therefor is suitable for lessons about the supposed superiority of western civilization…

6 Likes

Or just because the word pride is in the title and they know there is no gay sex.

1 Like

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

4 Likes

:rage:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Good on them for pointing it out.

11 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

5 Likes

“The cruelty is the point”: education edition

Not my town, but not far away. This mentality is so entrenched in Alabama: the willingness (eagerness?) to destroy projects, programs, and people who are making things better for everyone specifically because they made things better for “those people.”

10 Likes
5 Likes

Utah implementing a statewide book ban is not particularly shocking. It’s upsetting, though.

9 Likes
5 Likes

14 Likes
11 Likes