joy division art GIF by hoppip

A Joy chief?

6 Likes

They might be too advanced for little kids. Probably more like this:

6 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

[ETA] I want to note that this particular course she’s talking about is called “cash course”… which sounds awfully similar to another high profile educational program… One wonders if that was intentional…

banana eats GIF

5 Likes

Why are America’s elite universities so afraid of this scholar’s paper?

The Columbia Law Review website was temporarily shut down after it published a Palestinian human rights lawyer’s article proposing a new way to understand Palestinian life under Israeli rule

(Guardian)

No paywall: https://archive.ph/kPJEA/again?url=https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/09/columbia-law-review-rabea-eghbariah-palestine-censorship-controversy

The board never spelled out why it pulled the piece, beyond what it called an opaque editorial process – a description the student editors disputed. But for non-scholarly audiences, Eghbariah’s word choice may have seemed inflammatory. In the piece, he defines Zionism as inextricable from the Nakba and builds on the legal scholarship of apartheid and genocide. Its table of contents was itself arguably provocative, with the header “Zionism as Nakba”.

It echoed another episode from November, when the Harvard Law Review blocked publication of an earlier version of the article that it had commissioned from Eghbariah, after the law review president reportedly expressed safety concerns tied to the piece. That version of the piece later appeared in the Nation magazine.

“What is so scary about Palestinians having the right to narrate their own realities?” Eghbariah said. Student-run law review journals rarely if ever hear from their outside boards. “It’s unprecedented to even interfere in editorial processes,” he said. There have been no substantive or factual contestations of the claims of the Columbia Law Review article.

7 Likes

Belongs over in the Columbia & allies thread too.

Columbia has been double and tripling down for quite some time now.

6 Likes

I posted an interview with him over in the Israel-Palestine thread…

5 Likes

Can’t beat that for an academic title!

(Yes, it’s an actual journal article.)

14 Likes

:astonished:

6 Likes

I sure hope they got the union on-side for this before announcing it.

1 Like

The fact that they’re planning on easing into it by implementing longer days before extending the school year shows they’re being somewhat thoughtful about it. And the fact that it’s optional, too. It just seems like it might be more reasonable to offer free before and after care instead of saying it’s an extension of the school day.

When they get to year-round schooling, that’s when it’ll get more interesting. If those schools don’t all have working A/C, it’s going to be hell for everyone involved. Otherwise this sounds great for working families who might struggle to find and pay for summertime care for their kids. That’s the more salient benefit for many families. Enrichment reducing summertime learning loss is just the cherry on top. I’d love to have this option in my district. There are a number of kids who could benefit from it, and we save kids from the stigma of summer school, too.

Doesn’t sound like it. And it’s going to be a difficult discussion because there are so many moving parts involved. Optional programming means not every classroom will be full or necessary, so not every teacher will get the opportunity if they want it. No mention of what pay might look like. No mention of what the extended curriculum looks like if, again, this is optional. It’s unclear if only longer school days are optional or if summer is as well. (I think summer isn’t.) It’s a lot to hash out.

ETA: fixed a typo. I’m sure there are more.

5 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

[ETA]

7 Likes

Authors have expressed their shock after the news that academic publisher Taylor & Francis, which owns Routledge, had sold access to its authors’ research as part of an Artificial Intelligence (AI) partnership with Microsoft—a deal worth almost £8m ($10m) in its first year.

The agreement with Microsoft was included in a trading update by the publisher’s parent company in May this year. However, academics published by the group claim they have not been told about the AI deal, were not given the opportunity to opt out and are receiving no extra payment for the use of their research by the tech company.

7 Likes

Are you sure It isn’t an Onion article?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/interactive/2024/indoctrination-schools-student-political-views-change/

Oh the joys of bothsides

7 Likes