Systems of education and its discontents

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/4666860-the-antisemitism-awareness-act-bars-the-teaching-of-modern-jewish-history/

10 Likes

US publishing house Wiley this week discontinued 19 scientific journals overseen by its Hindawi subsidiary, the center of a long-running scholarly publishing scandal.

In December 2023 Wiley announced it would stop using the Hindawi brand, acquired in 2021, following its decision in May 2023 to shut four of its journals “to mitigate against systematic manipulation of the publishing process.”

[…]

But the concern over scholarly research integrity isn’t confined to Wiley publications. A study published in Nature last July suggests as many as a quarter of clinical trials are problematic or entirely fabricated.

[…]

Academic publishers, however, appear to want the benefits of AI writing assistance without the downsides. Springer Nature, for example, last October launched Curie – an AI-powered writing assistant intended to help scientists whose first language is not English. Hence calls for better tools [PDF] to detect generative AI output – a call answered by recent efforts to improve AI content watermarking – which some researchers argue won’t work.

[…]

Meanwhile, in Wiley’s fiscal Q3 2024 earnings report, the publisher noted that revenue for its learning division is expected to be toward the higher end of projections due to “Q4 content rights deals for training AI models.”

8 Likes

Boom!

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/melinda-henneberger/article288540845.html

6 Likes

Dang it, paywalled for me.

2 Likes

Oh no! I’m on an iPad in a plane, so I’ll archive.org it later….but it’s going to be much later!

3 Likes

To save @chgoliz from having to mess about with links after travelling:

10 Likes

Darn you, Speedy!

9 Likes

And @chgoliz - thanks!

9 Likes

The Mary Sue explains why this condemnation is so on-point:

8 Likes

I just came across this story and was going to post it here, but I see you beat me to it. The story gives me some hope, actually, that not all far right activists are beyond redemption. She was able to admit she was wrong. It’s depressing that none of her compatriots wanted to hear it, but at least it shows some people can be reached.

10 Likes
8 Likes

Working as intended. :rage: :sob:

8 Likes

8 Likes

[CNN: “A fifth grader has paid off the entire meal debt, and then some, for his elementary school. In a video shared to his mom’s Facebook, Daken Kramer had challenged “friends, family and local businesses to donate what they can to this cause.” He wound up turning in a check for more than $7,300.” — Bluesky (bsky.app)]

A Missouri fifth grader raised enough money to pay off his entire school’s meal debt | CNN

12 Likes

Thank you so much for including the last comment, sums up my opinion really well. Fuck these capitalism-supporting “scrappy little hero” stories.

9 Likes

Right up there with GoFundMe campaigns to pay for a kid’s cancer treatment.

Marmot GIF

10 Likes

And it’s not like these kinds of points haven’t been said repeatedly for a loooong time now.

Grrrrrrr…

10 Likes
10 Likes

I thought Handmaid’s Tale was a documentary about Boston, or did they fictionalize the location to let them film it all in Toronto (which I’m guessing passes for Boston better than it passes for Fort Lauderdale). :thinking:

/s I think… not so sure these days…

1 Like

:thinking:

5 Likes