Systems of education and its discontents

7 Likes

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

7 Likes

School breaks laws in refusing to help a special needs child, then sues his dad for demanding they do their jobs.

ETA
Bonus: The reporter didn’t think to look up the word ‘lascivious,’ so she’d know how it’s pronounced. SMH

9 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

7 Likes

I guess it was inevitable. If you are not white wnd Christian, you need to stay invisible.

9 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

5 Likes

Ouch.

So much for claims that Asian Americans are “honorary” white people.

https://www.bu.edu/bulawreview/2023/05/24/asian-americans-dog-whistles-and-the-psychological-wages-of-honorary-whiteness/

8 Likes

“Second class” white people at best. Same level as Jews and, depending on the area, Eastern Europeans as well. Racism does not have to follow any kind of logic, especially since “white” is a social construct subject to redefinition at any time to keep it at “not them.” For whatever value of “them” applies.

6 Likes

Yep.

Um, okay, depending on the area. I can’t think of any area in the US where descendants of Eastern Europeans especially haven’t been able to assimilate fully into the fiction that is racial whiteness.

But yes indeed, the elasticity of the fiction does mean it’s possible that the club’s boundaries could contract at some point and exclude even them.

4 Likes

Around here, Ukranian and Russian immigrants are very much “them,” but I guess I should have added “and time” because there was certainly a recent time when Poles, Czechs, etc were not included in the 'club."

6 Likes

Ah right I misunderstood, sure, immigrants. Who haven’t yet shed markers of ethnic otherness. (Ethnic, not racial.)

Anyway, fuck xenophobia!

7 Likes

Ah right I misunderstood, sure, immigrants. Who haven’t yet shed markers of ethnic otherness.

My great-grandparents immigrated to the US in 1906, but I have a very Polish surname. I have plenty of stories …worse since I moved to the UK.

5 Likes

Move to Chicago. We even have a special school/local government holiday to celebrate a Polish immigrant! Also, all government phone lines list Polish as one of the official languages to choose when calling to get information.

9 Likes

In a very-not-shocking move, having successfully weaponized “antisemitism” against higher ed, the fascists are now moving on to silence primary and secondary schools as well. Gotta teach them young, to shut up and obey with no thinking. God, what assholes!!!

11 Likes

From @mspie500!

Well worth the read…

7 Likes

bob esponja rainbow GIF

4 Likes
3 Likes

10 Likes

Part of me want to laugh. But part of me want to cry…

10 Likes

The federal government said it would cover 40% of the cost of providing special education services, but it has never come close to fulfilling that promise. In 2023, the National Association of Elementary School Principals said, “Since the law was enacted, the closest the federal government has come to reaching the 40 percent commitment was 18 percent in 2004-2006, and current funding is at less than 13 percent.”

Meanwhile, where we are:

11 Likes