Table top games

I agree that it’s preferable but my partner had to run the game before he ever got the chance to play. For lots of D&D players their first dungeon master was just another kid who picked up the books.

Although I agree that you do have to take to the idea of role playing well and quickly or it will be pretty off putting.

5 Likes

One I just remembered this morning before going out for things. Saboteur is great for 6 and more up to 10 is better. It is a card/tile laying game. You are dwarfs looking for gold and one or more of the group is the saboteur. If a regular player gets to the gold first they get the first pick of the gold cards for the round and pass it on to the next player. If the saboteur gets there first or blocks all paths they get all the gold cards. The more players the faster the round goes. Playable with 3 to 5 players but 6+ is where it gets to be quite fun.

ETA it’s cheap and highly transportable too.

2 Likes

Another recent acquisition I remembered (because it’s sitting on the table next to the couch) is Coup. An inexpensive, fiendish little card game which takes literally just a few minutes to play. Five minutes perhaps for a typical game, but you’re going to want to play it again, and again. Very psychological; it mostly hinges on bluffing as to what cards you have, while accumulating coins you can spend to force other players to reveal their cards.

4 Likes

One of the better-designed “cheap games” I’ve played lately is Microscope. There’s a player’s guide that’s helpful, but otherwise all you need are 3x5 cards, some markers/pens, and imagination. It’s a world-history-building game in which you and your friends essentially brainstorm within a set of rules and guidelines to create an entire era in history.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.