Take a ride down memory lane in the Pontiac Fiero

Step-brothers. What can you do… right?

3 Likes

I love him but when he was driving it was a version of Mr Toad’s Wild Ride.

4 Likes

We had an uncle like that. Uncle Mickey. He was a howl and for a time sort of a beatnik. He would drive his VW Beetle like a manic. Dude was over 6 feet tall yet would lean over the steering wheel as if he was driving a speed boat over very rough waves. Crazy. Once he drove me and my HS girlfriend to Shea Stadium for a Mets game. In the front seat was his wife. He did his typical weaving through traffic. At one point he whizzed past this one pedestrian who stepped off the curb and you could swear he made contact with her – but he didn’t. Mickey’s wife slowly turned to him and calmly said, “Do you know you almost hit that lady?” He was like, “Yep, no problem.” I looked at my gf; she was frozen. Sheer terror.

7 Likes

Volkswagen beetle. 11 or 12 junior high school kids in and on the car. Teacher driving (you know, the cool one). Good times, good times

3 Likes

Proper Capris cost serious money these days. I’d love one, but…

3 Likes

Yep. It’s an expression from the track day and amateur racing circles- “It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow”.

It’s a saying because every track day has at least one dudebro who shows up in his Gallardo, having never driven properly at speed or taken any lessons before. It’s always a disaster, but he assumes he’ll be amazing at it because of the size of his wallet.

Back to the main topic, another fun fact about Fieros is that the drivetrain layout and wheelbase made them uniquely well suited to shitty kit car conversions. If you’re ever out and about and you see a Ferrari, Porsche, or Lambo that doesn’t look… quite right…. It’s a Fiero kit car. Sometimes also VWs are under there for the same reason- when the drive train is self contained, it’s a lot easier to mess around with the body.

8 Likes

I’d forgotten all about those, its been a long time since I’d seen one…

“Ferrari,” pffft…

4 Likes

I wanted to write about that portion of the Fiero’s storied history, but felt like giving this article a positive spin and donned the rose tinged nostalgia glasses of the way back machine. That you mentioned VW’s as well as the Fiero is spot on for kit car’s of that era. While looking into importing a Brazilian VW SP2

I noticed a lot of Chamonix NG Cars that were made to look like James Dean’s last chariot “Little Bastard” (Porsche 550 Spyder):

Back to the kit car portion, modern day kit cars like Factory Five Racing and Smyth Performance have enjoyed a sense of refinement thrust upon the industry by the likes of the faux-rari and fak-ighini’s hung on Fiero chassis from long ago.

6 Likes

LOL, this exchange had me:

Announcer 1: Ok, what is that. That car is not a Fiero.
Announcer 2: Of course it is, look at it, that car has Fiero written on the front.
Announcer 1: Bro, that’s a Ferrari-
Announcer 2: Ferrari, Fiero, To-may-tow, To-mah-toe

6 Likes

I’m not sure why, but whenever we set out to visit friends in Costa Mesa, CA and get nearer and nearer to our final destination, we notice an increasing number of Lambos and Ferraris and Maserati’s and Alfa Romeos on the road and on flatbeds. We wouldn’t have noticed any Fieros, though; under the radar that was being ignored by said exotics. :grin:

2 Likes

There were some questionable pics going round the internet a few years back of a Toyota 2000GT kit that someone in Japan had put on a Miata, but there wasn’t much info. I know if you’ve got the money, Mr Lucky will build you a 2000GT replica with a 2jz heart, but it costs as much small house.

ETA: And that SP2 is just lovely. There are sooo many weird and wonderful Brazilian sporty cars.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.