Take a tour of the off-grid homestead two people built on a tiny island in Tonga

Originally published at: Take a tour of the off-grid homestead two people built on a tiny island in Tonga | Boing Boing

1 Like

The video immediately following the one in the OP is pretty cool as well, as it features them still on the same island, but now they’re cruising around on electric surfboards that do the hydrofoil thing where you end up above the water:

1 Like

Sorry, I bailed at 1:45 when she started singing like Snow White. Not even 2 minutes in, and it already smacks of so much privilege. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Sailors? The folks that run their pleasure yacht are the sailors, not the phony[s] playing sailor.

5 Likes

Yeah. I had a similar experience. Watching rich people talk about their success building property, running businesses and sailing yachts is tiresome. I mean, I don’t begrudge them their happiness, and that resort looks real nice, but there is a lot poverty in Tonga. Surely there are stories of tenacity and resilience from locals on other islands?
https://pacificwomen.org/stories-of-change/stories-of-rural-womens-resilience-after-tropical-cyclone-gita/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.