This luxury manmade island looks like a great setting for a video game

Originally published at: This luxury manmade island looks like a great setting for a video game | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Seriously, has anything good ever happened on a “private island”? It starts all cheery and optimistic, with great promises for the future, and then duh-duh-duuuuuuuuh!

16 Likes

You are kind of joking, but it does seem to be the case.

9 Likes

The Blue Estate Group has been inundated with requests after unveiling plans for the man-made Blue Estate Island, where property prices start at $19,800 and rise to over $1 billion.

Artist’s conception of a $19,800 property

27 Likes

For those interested, I can recommend “Billionaire Island”, by Ahoy Comics. A brilliant six-part satire. Very funny, a little disturbing.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Anyone else remember New Utopia?

http://www.new-utopia.com/

4 Likes

This was bad for the pig, obviously, but everyone else seems to have had a fun time all told.

6 Likes

ask Roger Stone about his time in the Bull Mask and the Minotaur games over on Little Saint James…

1 Like

(rubbing hands together in a menacing fashion): Yes, gather all the ultra-rich onto an isolated island…

15 Likes

Man this give so “William Gibson” vibes…
The ultraritch and corporations, retreating on artificial islands outside of 12mile zones. Life in luxury without the burden of human filth, laws of states no longer applying to them. Guarded by their own military style equipped security forces.

Terrorists and super criminals and hackers trying to invade.

4 Likes

I was thinking that some disaster would inevitably befall this place and then the US and/or some other government would have to come and fix it. On the taxpayer’s dime, of course.

But your idea is much better.

3 Likes

No thanks I’ve already played this game.

11 Likes

Or one Crysis level. The last good one before you go to the mothership, or core lab, or underground bunker or whatever and the whole game goes to shit.

2 Likes

I assume that $20k is the PO box just large enough for your corporation to allegedly be headquartered in.

12 Likes

That’s the thing, though. (I know you meant filthy humans, but I’m thinking of human waste.)
They put themselves in a very vulnerable position. If they want clean water and operational indoor plumbing, they need people who can do that work. It seems shortsighted to remove themselves from nation states that provide those services.
Though, I guess once they have the workers on the island, they can imprison them there…
Aside from the ecological disaster, I like to think of this devolving into an island of Uber-wealthy people needing to use “honey buckets” and set up little camping-style water desalination stations.

2 Likes

Lord of the Flies pt II

2 Likes

There needs to be an undocumented plug on the bottom somewhere that can be heroically pulled when the time comes for the rabble to rise up and overthrow the oppressors

4 Likes

Too complicated, just trip out the generators and everything grinds to a halt.

3 Likes

I was thinking more about the kind of plug that’s in the bottom of a bathtub, but in reverse

3 Likes