Take this vocabulary test

I did not know misfeasor which is kind of a cool word.

6 Likes

87%. More significant (to me) however, is that I didn’t say ‘yes’ to any non-words. Feelin’ good about that.

5 Likes

94%

First go was 86% because I treated it like a race and missed words like “repudiate” which I not only know, but have used a lot. I got 0 made up words both times, but I was a little over-cautious about words like “technologic” which trip up my spell-check when I use them and I wasn’t sure how “strict” they were being about what an English word was.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah that is probably what kept me from doing better… One of my misses was ‘balanceable’ which is one of those well looks like it should be as it is a valid suffix but lets just go with no.
Then there was ‘crackman’ which is old slang for safe cracker and I had never seen that one before so went with no.
The others were some even more obscure/oddly spelled words that I really waffled on. But hey I am happy with 91% on the first go.

3 Likes

High five fellow non native English speaker friend!
I’m just happy I didn’t fall for any nonwords :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh wow, I’m proud of/for you! High five indeed.
Not falling for the nonwords is great. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought the literary types WERE the elite?

7 Likes

I’m just complaining that 93 percent just isn’t that special once you enter the rarified halls of boingboing.

7 Likes

I’ve subscribed to A Word A Day almost as long as I’ve had email. It often offers interesting backgrounds on words whose meanings I already know.

Sometimes I browse through the Oxford English Dictionary for the same reason.

A lot of other places I wouldn’t admit that for fear of seeming weird. Here, though…

9 Likes

‘Foody’ got me. I know ‘foodie’ is a word, but food-y? Why yes, yes it is a word. An adjective describing something that is…food.

English. I hate you.

9 Likes

BAH.

“Fluidextract” is not a word, it’s two words. Stupid doctors don’t know how to use the space bar.

Laiths is just as good an English word as all the Greek words they gave me. Scotland forever!

8 Likes

77% (77%, 0%)

Considering that a week-long class trip is all the time I have ever spent in an English-speaking country, I guess that’s ok.

5 Likes

shooped. I can see the pixels.

4 Likes

Lol, made a screenshot without removing the highlight (tried to copy first). And closed the tab before I saw my error. And thought f* it. It’s not that an important issue/topic, just fun.
And btw, shouldn’t I’ve made it a better score? :wink:

But hey, aren’t it a lot of pixels, the best of them?

3 Likes

Yeah, I got 91% but I listed “kroner” as not an English word. Because it’s not, really? But then I realized half the words were all Greek or Latin composites anyway so I guess it was more “is it a real word”. And I accidentally hit “yes” on “cowows” which I know isn’t a real word lol

3 Likes

Powwows for cows, obviously.

7 Likes

Then I whipped up a little script to grab the test word, cross-check against Trump’s last 500 tweets and a batch of transcribed speeches, and click Yes/No…

4 Likes

Obligatory:

9 Likes

I am in disbelief that ‘unbelief’ is a real word. Unbelievable!

6 Likes