Take this vocabulary test

The test actually said it was made up of American English words but one of my words was “lorry”. Whatevs.

6 Likes

I was 1 short of Mark, 82 + 0 false positives

Seriously, what is an “English” word when our whole language is pretty much stealing words from the rest of the world.

12 Likes

I spend all my fucking time reading, and scored 63%. I blame Inky Fool’s blog for making me too willing to think that weird concatenations of letters mean something.

5 Likes

I have many elegant pixels. The best pixels, really - I want to bring pixels…Pixels are super important folks. Crooked Hillary doesn’t like pixels. Sad!

5 Likes

Jeez - what do you do during your reading time?

note to self: never borrow books or schedule sex with Gilbert

10 Likes

i ended up with 99%. there was one word i did not know and no nonwords i claimed to know.

5 Likes

Drawing a bright line between words and non-words is not just difficult. It is simply impossible. The best you can hope for is some sort of quantitative measure, but even that only goes so far.

However I doubt that debatable words really influence the score that much in this test.

1 Like

You did good. I did a measly 83%. Well I’m a engineer. That’s my excuse.

3 Likes

They don’t know how to pronounce words either. They insist on saying “centimeter” as if it was “sontimeter.” As if the first half was French and the second half was English. I guess once you’ve impressed people with a fancy pronunciation of the first part of a word, you can slouch off on the second half.

And they say “cartoon” instead of “diagram” or “schematic” when giving talks.

Oh, and “armamentum” instead of “tools” when referring to different ways of approaching a medical problem. Four syllables instead of one.

2 Likes

I feel like it was more about recognizing whether or not the words actually contained a combination of phonemes that would occur in English. Or if they contained a Greek or Latin root. Most of the non-words contained letter combinations you just wouldn’t see - something like “caquiproiically”.

But then again, at least half of my real words weren’t even esoteric. I had stuff like “chick” and “mourn”.

7 Likes

84% with no false positives. I bet i could do better, but meh.
More importantly, there were some great non-words that really should be words on my test: dispechriveness, samation, uneipesically, flandless, etc.

4 Likes

Amen. What do they think this language is? German?

5 Likes

Yes, it is annoying if you get a questionable one, but in the end of the day it is both unavoidable and quantitatively insignificant.

1 Like

I couldn’t even start the test, it just stayed on the screen that asked me to press yes or no to start.

2 Likes

You don’t have anything to be worried about. :smile: Your english is a billion times better than my second and third languages put together. [quote=“manybellsdown, post:36, topic:84059”]
And I accidentally hit “yes” on “cowows” which I know isn’t a real word lol
[/quote]

I’ll make it a real word at my earliest opportunity. :slight_smile: Nevermind, @Vert beat me to it.

3 Likes

Same here – stuck on the start page. I disabled everything that I though might be interfering, but I had the same results on two different mozilla-based browsers (Waterfox and Firefox developer).

1 Like

This was fun! English is a second language and a got 94% in the first try, 81% in the second and 93% in the third. Mostly botanical words tripped me, one instance of yidiche (kibitzer) that I was unsure if it would be considered English or not and “seminoma”, that is a type of cancer in the testicles (and I lack the proper plumbing to be acquainted with the word lol).

6 Likes

Holy cow, I was happy with my 79% until I read the comments here! =o(

Well, I’m still happy I didn’t claim to know any words that weren’t real.

6 Likes

I tried firefox and chrome, no luck

2 Likes