Chart of words known better by men than women, and vice versa

Originally published at: Chart of words known better by men than women, and vice versa | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Did they really have to include that last word on the chart? It strikes me as transphobic. I also haven’t seen it used, anywhere, since the 90’s.

41 Likes

So if you pick a bunch of words related to fashion or Women’s health, males are clueless. And if you pick words from Industries that have been actively excluding females for years they have less exposure.

But if you pick a derogatory term males are the best?

Super useful study… /sarcasm

20 Likes

Yeah, uh, WOW. That’s definitely a gut-check, isn’t it.

13 Likes

I have many theories regarding this.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 11.00.18 AM

15 Likes

Agreed. I was happy to go through the list and learn some new words. That last one I’d prefer to forget.

15 Likes

I would like to see the follow up study where people have to accurately define the word. I suspect the results would be different in several ways…

19 Likes

WTF? Last in the image is boson.
Bosons are a category of atomic particle.

If it’s the “shemale” in the linked article, yes, hasn’t been heard by me for several years except used by ageing bigots.

10 Likes

part of a boat, later a subatomic particle, future a clown of a president held in very very small regard.

5 Likes

Well there you go.
Who knew my costume/clothing fetishes improved my vocabulary?!

9 Likes

In the linked article…

13 Likes

Isn’t that a typo? Um, nevermind.

3 Likes

Because it is. Blatantly so. Not sure what this is supposed to prove. More women know what a doula is? Yes, of course they do. Women, who have been systematically excluded form science fields and study, are less likely to recognize boson? Yeah, OK. Yeah, I feel angry having read this chart.

34 Likes

Agreed. One that jumped out at me was “kohl”. I think I learned what that was from Weis and Hickman’s Rose of the Prophet series of books, but would the people conducting that study require participants to know it’s a type of cosmetic or would recognizing the department store Kohl’s (from their TV commercials or from driving by one) count?

9 Likes

Is boson a spin zero particle, or high ranking sailor?

13 Likes

For a femtosecond I also wondered about the use of boson previously unknown to me.

8 Likes

BosUn is a high ranking sailor, but not an officer.

20 Likes

All I need to know is which five-letter words are in Wordle

/grateful shemale (yuck) doesn’t fit the bill

5 Likes

Boatswain =/= boson. Similar pronunciation, but different origin.

17 Likes

Was in a fiction writing workshop in college. We were to write short stories, make copies for everyone else and critique other’s stories. One critique I got back on my story said, “I stopped reading when I got to the word ‘carburetor’ in the first paragraph.”

11 Likes