Takei to Arizona lawmakers: we will boycott Arizona if it passes its anti-gay Jim Crow law

Just another example of how many levels of “wrong” were in @Jewels_Vern’s earlier comments about not needing business from those out-of-state LGBT supporters:

When the NFL thinks you’re being too homophobic, take a fucking hint.

14 Likes

If he had the nerve to come back and defend his position I suspect he’d say that Arizona doesn’t need a bunch of carpetbagging football players dictating whether or not minorities deserve civil rights in the Grand Canyon state. And those kids can get off the gravel pile he calls a lawn too!

On a more serious note, it’s kind of nice to see how things have changed. Twenty years ago, and possibly even ten, a law like this would have passed with little opposition or fanfare, and I doubt even the inevitable court case would be front page news. Now big businesses are willing to do what individuals couldn’t.

2 Likes

Jesus said it would be like this, and it’s going to be worse than anything ever before. You (plural you) are participating in the fulfillment of prophecy.

What was that about a hint?

I see. Well, since you’re obviously so well versed in scripture, maybe you would be kind enough to point to the part of the New Testament in which Jesus addressed homosexuality.

Oh wait, never mind. I found it:

8 Likes

3 Likes

What was the actual quote again? Was it the one about throwing stones or removing a plank from an eye… Oh, here’s one about “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean."

No? Must be this one, it’s kind of a biggie: “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Could be this one: "The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Gots to be this one: “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”

Look Jewels, I’m not condemning you, but you’ve got to let people lead their own lives, even if they don’t agree with you, and that means public companies need to accept all comers. Don’t want that? Make it a membership, close the doors to those who don’t join, whatever, but just accept the much smaller clientele and hold true to your beliefs.

7 Likes

The New Testament doesn’t say anything about people boycotting Arizona businesses either. So obviously, when Jewels says Jesus said there was a prophecy about this, he must be referring to some Extra New Testament which explains what happens after God makes Zonies his new chosen people.

6 Likes

You are babbling. All I said was I don’t want people from other states trying to use money to coerce our local politics.

It is especially stupid to use a football game as the bribe. A superbowl is a bunch of people getting off airplanes, writing each other checks, and then getting back on the planes and going away. The money is in the zillions, but the benefit to the state is nil.

And that “Jesus said it would be like this” as well as the word “prophecy”

I inquired as to where you might have seen that Jesus had said it would be “like this” and instead of actually backing up your claims you you’re now just saying I’m the one Babeling…

If you wanted your local politics to be clean it would be a lot easier to outlaw 529s or prevent the DNC and RNC from giving money to local organizations. That would be a lot clearer legislation than this cobbled together thing sitting on Jan Brewer’s desk.

3 Likes

Shaming and Boycott: it worked against South African apartheid.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the words of your favourite fictional character.

Here’s mine:

“I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It’s all in the game though, right?”
-Omar

Telling stories is fun.

2 Likes

Never any love for bubbles. Poor fuckin’ bubbles, man.

Man, I hate that “Special Edition” crap.

1 Like

Interestingly, Bubbles is one of the only characters throughout the entire series for who it’s hard to find a reason to dislike. I always admired his resourcefulness.

2 Likes

Hey folks, don’t despair, these laws may be coming soon to a state near you!

1 Like

It’s not people. It’s the constitution. Jeebus.

5 Likes

If you’re going to cite Jesus in your defense then you need to stop bearing false witness. Or do you think because you’re forgiven for your sins you don’t have to accept any responsibility for your actions?

5 Likes

Amazingly in my home state of Tennessee they killed the bill before it even reached the floor for a vote.

Unfortunately they didn’t do it for the right reasons. It was withdrawn when legislators realized that, since Tennessee provides no protections for LGBT people (and in fact the state legislature has stripped local jurisdictions of the power to provide such protections) the bill would be redundant.

I remain hopeful that Tennessee will eventually move into the 21st century, even though it may be the 22nd century before we get there.

2 Likes

Score one point for meddling out-of-state entertainment types.

2 Likes

And minus one for meddling out-of-state religious types.

4 Likes