Talking to Steve Jobs from beyond the grave with an AI chatbot trained on his voice. The results are uncanny

Originally published at: Talking to Steve Jobs from beyond the grave with an AI chatbot trained on his voice. The results are uncanny | Boing Boing

1 Like

This almost makes me want to log into facebook. Thinking about it…

Awkward Lucille Ball GIF

6 Likes

We’re entering an age of famous ghosts.

4 Likes

Sad Futurama GIF

4 Likes

Yet another way that we are headed to a Black Mirror future.

3 Likes

Neat. They should do this with a living person, then have a conversation with both independently and see how they differ.

Seeing this thought, reminds me of when they made Fred Astaire dance with a vacuum. Dead famous people will just keep getting more undead.

3 Likes

msjTIx

6 Likes

tumblr_p45ujj3WfX1sgf3swo5_r1_250

5 Likes

Pretty close. Based on the dozens of keynotes I attended or watched over the years after he returned to Apple, needs more throat-clearing sounds to be accurate. It’s a little too perfect for human speech that isn’t highly rehearsed and/or massively edited.

Also extremely creepy as a concept and in execution.

3 Likes

Does it come with a Scratch’n’Sniff option for lifelike realism?

2 Likes

wow, that IS uncanny. i suddenly miss Steve Jobs all over again.

2 Likes

That was my reaction, too! :grimacing:

It’s not the famous ones I’m worried about…

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/23/tech/amazon-alexa-mimic-voice/index.html

Full disclosure, I avoid using any voice-activated systems or apps. For people that do use them regularly, I have to wonder what’s in those terms of service, especially who owns what’s recorded or stored. The thought of this being used for marketing or abused for theft is what makes my skin crawl. Forget the anonymous robocall claiming that a parent, child, or grandparent/grandchild needs help - soon that call will really sound like it’s coming from someone you know and love.

:weary: I’ll be working on a few authentication phrases to share with family and friends, just in case. :nerd_face:

if i told you i'd have to kill you killing eve GIF by BBC America

5 Likes

Yeah, a service that lets you talk to an AI based on the recordings of a dead loved one isn’t creepy at all…

2 Likes

Hmmm… parenting tips from Steve Jobs? Everyday I think I’ve already heard the worst use case for AI.

Everyday I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Hard to differentiate from getting legal advice from a Trump AI “Deny, deny, deny”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.