Tampa residents awoken by the bumping sounds of underwater sex

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/07/black-drum-fish-mating.html

4 Likes

Heard about this on Colbert or Meyers, a few days ago.

9 Likes

the story even made it as a question on the Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me radio quiz last week!

i’ve gone night diving and heard drum making their noise. it is loud and seemingly all around you.

10 Likes

TIL that horny fish can be insensitive neighbors too.

7 Likes

So glad this was a story about animals.

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

3 Likes

3 Likes

Check out the recording!

6 Likes

It is amazing how much noise the smallest of things can make. I had a couple of trips to Mwanza in Tanzania for work, and in the evenings at the resort we stayed at there were the most incredible high pitched pinging noises in the evening.

Went exploring the grounds, and it turned out to be tiny frogs about the size of the tip of my thumb - but sooo loud :exploding_head::

(I think the one I found was off shift as soon as they saw the camera light :grin:)

6 Likes

If the coast is a rock’n, don’t come a knock’n!

5 Likes

I thought it was about this:

“Every night and without any apparent reason, we were seeing very, very high levels of turbulence,” says Castro, a physical oceanographer at England’s University of Southampton. Castro and his colleagues eventually traced the source of all this mixing: the frothing free-for-all of an anchovy orgy.

1 Like

Same here, but while in Jamaica. They even look like the ones you heard and found.

We knew the sound must be tiny frogges, and asked our friend and driver Bamis about them. He explained that they’re little tiny beige thingies, and mom would never find one, no matter how hard she’d try.

That very night, mom saw and caught one! She picked some nice greenery, and carefully placed it and the tiny frogge in a great big brandy snifter from our suite’s kitchen. She found a way to safely cover the snifter’s mouth to keep in the frogge, but allowed air to circulate. We only kept the frogge until early the next morning, so we could show Bamis when he came to pick us up. He was suitably astonished and quite proud of her tophat-biggrin beer

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.