Tarantula hawks swarm San Antonio

How many reasons do we need to not move to Texas?

4 Likes

On the other hand, at least I better understand why Texans would want to carry sidearms.

12 Likes

Oh, big deal. Cicada killers are great to impress the hoi polloi with, but they are such wusses. The males canā€™t sting, and the females, ya canā€™t hardly make em sting you if you tried. They donā€™t show up here until late summer for the annual cicadas. Theyā€™d be shittin their pants(?) if they were here now for the Kansan Brood Magicicadas. Notwithstanding my comment to Ratel about being all sceered of hornets & such, I am fine with these guys.
Iā€™m totally with you on yellowjackets. Bastards get in your beer and sting you right on the lip or tongue.

1 Like

when i lived in arizona a tarantula hawk and huntsman spider fought each other epiclly. i dumped muriactic acid on those suckers and they charged me. i scopped them up with the skimmer and sunk them to the bottom on the pool for two days.

shudder

Yeah, the key thing to remember is social wasps = protect the hive, be aggressive as hell. Solitary = build your nest, supply the larvae with live spider food or whatnot, and fuggedaboutit.

4 Likes

Muriatic acid didnā€™t just kill them immediately? Woah, that shit is seriousā€¦

1 Like

Japan laughs at your puny little Tarantula Hawk.

You may know me as the Head Chief First Researcher of Labs Z-9 and Z-14. There I fought valiantly to preserve rattlesnake DNA, and put it right where it belongs, in the husk of another feared predator. Oh, and the tarantula hawk. Canā€™t splice enough, I always say, especially if you can make a magnificent Cazador!

2 Likes

At least you inherently know to stay TFA from a big stinger bug with wings.

If you are unlucky enough to come into contact with this furry little caterpillar, known as the asp, it causes intense throbbing pain, burning, and a rash with erythematous spots. More susceptible patients can experience swelling, nausea, abdominal pain, headache, lymphadenopathy, lymphadenitis, shock, and respiratory distress.

Perhaps it should be called The Ex

And then it runs for President.

2 Likes

Huntsmans in AZ?! The clock sized ones? I thought those were Australianā€¦

1 Like

They are all over the fucking place. You look at them funny and they jump on your face.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/155796-phoenix-spiders.html

They arenā€™t the poisonous kind, BUT FUCK YOU SPUDER.

3 Likes

Hmm, doesnā€™t sound nearly as big as the Aussie breed, which you should look up if you havenā€™t. But not until morning. Ugh!

NONONONONO

I am not afraid spiders, but one of those assholes jumped a foot and a half at my face.

I screamed like Finn from adventure time.

1 Like

Yup. My little Asian Mom caught one for my insect collection years and years ago. Apparently the kids at her preschool were freaking out, and Mom just walked up to it with a jar. It was pretty mellow going into the jar. Not so mellow once insideā€¦ (canā€™t blame it for that one though).

Yeah, jumping facial attack spiders do sound worse than big ones that hide behind wall clocks. Even if the latter are so big that their legs still stick out.

Or erupt out of your leg or ankle, like a Guinea Worm.

With any luck thoseā€™ll be extinct soon, thanks former president Carter.

2 Likes

In our house, the Huntsmans are always named ā€˜Samā€™. They are a very nice spider in a place where there are a lot of real evil bastard spiders.

Itā€™s my job to catch them in a jar and relocate them outside.

2 Likes

Scary monsters! The comment thread there is full of people claiming to have crossed them in the US, hope to hell theyā€™re mistaking them for something else.

In a more benign vein, I love seeing these hummingbird moths, what a concept!

4 Likes