Tarantula hawks swarm San Antonio

There was a big yellowjacket nest in a pile of old cedar shingles in the yard, and they were stinging people on occasion. They won’t fly at night, so I went out and tossed a match in there, and stood back to watch the nasty suckers roast. (It was dry cedar shingles, so no need to unlimber my flamethrower.)

Yeah, they don’t fly at night. However, they will walk 30 feet in the dark in order to climb your boots and get up inside your pants leg.

2 Likes

Sphingidae is a cool genus; the snowberry clearwing variety which is really common here in the southern Midwest darts around like a small ruby-throated hummingbird and has the coloration of a common bumblebee, which is neat to see. It’s also like 3x as big.

2 Likes

You mean these?

I remember being in a cabin in the Thai jungle (rather a fancy cabin, mind you) and just as I was drifting off to sleep watching a pair of antennae poke up out of the skirting board. And then start rising. And rising. I swear they were a foot long if they were an inch before the beetle’s head appeared.

1 Like

Ony a beetle?!

The centipede’s antennae, you’ll note, are not particularly long.

The thing that struck me about those guys was how fast they were. Not in pouncing on prey, but just generally. If they really wanted to bite you, and they were within about 10 feet of you, you wouldn’t be able to outrun them.

1 Like

See Texas? See what God does when you don’t issue marriage licenses to gay couples?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.