Taylor Swift used facial recognition tech at concerts to spy on stalkers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/12/taylor-swift-facial-recognitio.html

3 Likes

So Taylor is stalking the stalkers?

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Oh Tay.

2 Likes

Unfortunately they couldn’t catch Kanye who was in disguise, passing himself for a black man.

3 Likes

That would be fine with me, if it were possible. But probably not a single person at the kiosk was a stalker, or at least 99.9% were not her stalkers.

4 Likes

The reasoning is sound. I get it. This artist is doing what she feels is best to help herself and her fans remain safe at concerts in a country prone to gun violence.

BUT

The people who build these systems and process and retain this data… I’m skeptical of them. Also, I don’t know if that part of the equation was in Ms. Swift’s perview.

It’s probably best that most music I like doesn’t make it into arena sized shows.

11 Likes

Ticket please, thanks, walk through the door
Into the Halls Of Illusions, visit yours
And see what coulda and shoulda and woulda been real
But you had to fuck up tha whole deal

“Lets take a walk down the hallway
It’s a long way it, it takes all day!”

And when you get to tha end, you’ll find a chair
With straps and chains, we slap you in there
Lock you down tight so you can’t move a thread
And pull your eyelids up over your head
'cause you’re about to witness an illusionary dream
It’s just to bad it ain’t what it seems

4 Likes

See ladies? If you have stalkers, you can deal with them yourself, no need to bother the cops (who aren’t going to do anything anyways). All you need is a state-level security apparatus and private security team to go collect them if they’re spotted. Easy!
(This made me think of the recent article about how more than a third of the men who kill women in the US were known be a threat to the victim before they did it.)

8 Likes

People do use elephant guns to kill ants.

Problem with elephant guns is that they’re designed to kill elephants.

2 Likes

The word is ‘pervert’ and in any case I expect math had nothing to do with why he stalked her

1 Like

Did they catch many stalkers?

And do the people in the database have some kind of protective order against them?

3 Likes

What do they do about false positives?

1 Like

This is funny, and your user name is excellent. Bravo.

1 Like

Kick them out of the concert and add them to the DB. :wink:
Self perpetuating system with false positive auto correct ™

2 Likes

Gracias, from one beloved villain to another.

1 Like

How do you spy on people coming to you, following you around? With the crazy fucks running around, and being one of the most popular artists of the time, I don’t really blame her.

1 Like

You think a woman choosing to protect herself at a private event is “wrong”?

J-Pop singers have been nearly murdered by these types of stalkers:

This is not an airport or a government building. It’s a private function. If you don’t like the use of the tech, don’t buy tickets.

9 Likes

Regular people have been killed by stalkers.

Is there somewhere beforehand where one could find out that facial recognition would be used, by what company, or object to how the data will be used, or where the data is kept or who it might be shared with?

It seems that there’s plenty of room to have some oversight ahead of time. A private event doesn’t give you carte blanche to do whatever you want with my visage. A public one might, but we have reasonable limits there too.

Inform your attendees, let them make an informed decision whether or not they’d like to buy that ticket. Seems that’s the least creepy, and most respectful thing to do.

Bonus, the stalkers will probably stay away if they know they’re being observed.

7 Likes

You’re usually told about any special regulations before attending a concert. (If you can’t bring bags etc)

Legally, you can be recorded in public - you could certainly lobby for notification laws if you feel this isn’t up to par.

There are laws against using your visage for advertising but “private” in the legal sense usually means places like bedrooms or bathrooms. A concert hall can use CCTV and can run that CCTV through algorithms if they choose.

Sounds like they are doing that.

4 Likes

I reject your premise that she dud something wrong. She took pictures for herself and kept them for her own use for a better reason than most people.

2 Likes

I just looked at Ariana G. tickets, on her site, on Ticketmaster. It says nothing. If the other top gal in the world doesn’t have anything about the pre ticket terms, I highly doubt Tay did.

Besides, that’s usually posted at the gate, arbitrary to the venue, not before the sale of tickets.

http://www.arianagrande.com/events
She does have the following here:

To provide the best experience for fans:
NO Cameras or Recording Devices (cell phones with cameras are permitted).
Each fan may have one bag.
All bags must be 100% clear.
Bags must be made of Clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC.
Bags must not exceed 12" x 6" x 12".
Or
A one gallon re-sealable clear freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).

Thank You for your cooperation.

Which says nothing about any data collection at the venue.

Ticketmaster does list this, but this just covers the site

Nowhere does it list pre sale to tickets any facial data collection.

Ok. I guess we all just get to do whatever as long as it’s a “better reason than most people”. In this case, it’s to fill up the databases of Ticketmaster’s new venture “Blink Identity, a startup that claims its sensors can identify people walking past at full speed in about half a second.”

I’m sure Ticketmaster (who’s known for being transparent, genuine, and charitable), won’t misuse that data, and will give anyone the ability to opt out.

1 Like