Tearful Obama calls for 'sense of urgency' to fight gun violence in America

I would certainly hope that he would think about the deaths of children by gun violence in a speech specifically about the horrors of gun violence and how to remedy it. That doesn’t make him dishonest or an “actor”, but if you are inclined to distrust everything about him, including his tears, then there’s nothing anyone can say to dissuade you.

9 Likes

It isn’t a loophole designed for collectors.

People selling their personal property to each other.

That is all that it is.

2 Likes

Speaking as a “gun collector”, by which I mean that I have a good sized collection of expensive antique guns, and sometimes buy from veterans or other collectors, How does making my hobby more expensive or complicated make anyone any safer? If anything, having some widow afraid to sell me an old war trophy because she thinks we would need a background check would mean that maybe that gun stays in her closet where some kid could find it. I understand that as a gun collector, I am supposed to be an evil redneck who wants to kill, but that is far from the truth. I kind of get the impression that you believe that people like me are perpetrating some kind of scam, but I don’t understand the reasoning behind that argument.

5 Likes

Aviation regulations make people safer, but one side effect of those regulations is that they also make Harrison Ford’s hobby (buying and flying vintage aircraft) more expensive and complicated. Sometimes it’s a necessary tradeoff.

6 Likes

Yeah, nothing like whittling away at the ability to freely practice a Constitutional Right, until it’s a practical impossibility. Cause tears, and the kids, and “everyone-else-agrees-with-me”. When this fails to achieve any effect, then we can just call for more and more pointless complications.

It’s working great for a woman’s freedom to terminate a pregnancy: Governor Jan Brewer Signs Arizona’s Extreme New Abortion Law
or the right to practice Free Speech on public land:
Free Speech Under Fire: The ACLU Challenge to "Protest Zones" | American Civil Liberties Union

The only reason you dont care about it, is because only a crazed, red state gun-nut could want to have a fire arm for protection, amirite? Not anyone being easily subjugated by a racist, corrupt system or anything.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there are many honest, safe, peaceful gun owners out there - presumably including yourself – whose hobby has been impacted by a small number of total and complete loonies. Because of the small number of people who exploit the loose nature of gun collector sales to buy and sell non-antique guns for the purpose of killing people, everyone who buys and sells guns needs to do so in a more complicated fashion. When your hobby is the purchase and sale of items that were created to harm and kill people, unfortunately, there’s bound to be limits when it’s abused.

5 Likes

The fun thing on the “necessary tradeoffs” is that their proponents are overwhelmingly those whose activities won’t be impaired.

It’s so easy to give up something you don’t do (or want to do) anyway, isn’t it?

1 Like

Oh yeah a gun control thread… we need this

18 Likes

There are already zero, or close to zero, shootings committed with the sorts of firearms the people like me collect. More regulations cannot make it any safer. Aviation regulations are usually made to address a specific danger, not just to mess with pilots.

Oh, it won’t do a damn thing. But you know, all that matters are their good intentions. See?

Eventually, they’ll just need to keep passing more and more laws when they can’t achieve the desired effect. Seems to be working great with the War On Drugs and the War on Terror. But you know, government always corrects for it’s mistakes.

1 Like

I drive a car. I willingly submit myself to countless forms of government regulation in order to do this because I recognize that cars are dangerous, potentially deadly objects.

18 Likes

But the loophole we’re talking about doesn’t just allow people to collect those kinds of firearms, does it?

4 Likes

I would damn well hope so. The push for gun control has been stalled again and again by NRA-funded Congressmen, and the President’s executive action is as much as he can legally accomplish. I would hope that with these small steps in place, stronger laws can be passed in the very near future by a new Congress.

2 Likes

What I think you are talking about is straw purchasers, who buy guns with the intention of reselling them to those who should not have guns. That is already a felony, but is often punished with probation or a slap on the wrist. That is what bothers me the most. Do a search for “straw purchaser given probation”.

I don’t have a problem with that. I have to register (and insure) my car.
I have to get a license to get married. I have to register to vote. Get a license, passport, etc…

7 Likes

But pretty much EVERYTHING is a potentially deadly object.

But your logic explains why are we sinking in the paper sea and why people like you applaud to the rhytm of its waves.

I for one will prefer increased risk of being shot or ran over or whatever over the risk of getting my life ruined by some bureaucrat just because i did not want to waste time on paperwork.

1 Like

So a gun collector is forced to go through a background check, it comes back clean, he gets his gun. What’s the problem here? Are we so “I WANT IT NOW!” as a society that we cannot wait for something?

10 Likes

How does the status quo make anyone safer?

nice flag, what does it mean?

4 Likes

Some of us are so I Want It Now that we use weapons to get our way.

But of course, guns are for collecting and appreciating, not ever for speeding people along to giving us what we want under implication of mortal violence (threat is such a loaded word). They’re all museum pieces! Or for feeding a starving family. All of them.

5 Likes

with the power of false equivalence, sure. But not actually.

10 Likes