Tearful Obama calls for 'sense of urgency' to fight gun violence in America

Look at the actual vs perceived risks, and be enlightened. :buddha:

2 Likes

The problem is that there is always someone who will have a complaint. If the guns you collect arenā€™t semi-automatic weapons, are you then okay with a ban on those types of guns? Even if you are, there will be people who are not. Besides, I donā€™t think these actions ban you from purchasing the types of guns you collectā€¦

ā€œA pillow can be used as a murder weapon! Therefore itā€™s hypocritical to impose more regulations on Plutonium than we have for pillows!ā€

13 Likes

A gun collector is forced to wait up a week for a background check, may have to make an extra round trip to the Federally licensed dealers premises, and his name and the details on the firearm are recorded.

Funny how when the civil right requiring extra documentation and delay is voting, everybody is all about quoting MLK, ā€œA right delayed is a right denied.ā€ But when it is a right one personally does not care to use, people have no problem adding delays and complexity and documentation requirements.

I donā€™t have to insure my car, and only register a car I drive on public roads. Plus there arenā€™t multiple organizations (and a handful of politicians) calling for car confiscation, or willing to take extra-legal measures (such as publishing lists of home addresses, SWATting, etc) against car owners.

The simple fact is that gun owners have not done enough to prevent terrorism shootings on their own. The NRA nave come out and denounce gun owners for murdering innocents murdering innocents.

/Recycled anti-Muslim rhetoric.

But seriously, gun owners are the reason for anti-gun sentiment. If you kids handā€™t acted like assholes then this wouldnā€™t be an issue.

13 Likes

Of a country with no guns, vs a country with strongly regulated guns?

also, is that condescending snark? We all know what extra rights we get once we think other people are being that way to our hignesses. Right?

ā€¦ and if there wereā€¦? then you could oppose forcing you to get insuranceā€¦? I am not sure the Presidential action called fo taking away your guns.

2 Likes

Any of you solve the human tendency to escalate violence from perception to passive and covert aggresssion to verbal belittling, to threatening, to shooting to warā€¦ and I will be all over the idea that the range of weapons available to Joe Six Pack does not need regulating.

Joe Six Pack needs some mindfulness training, so he stops with the aggression in the first place. But no, unlimited cake comes AFTER.

We all know you WANNA.

Well too bad. You are not policing your own sufficiently.

5 Likes

I am sure that is true of some people.

For me, though, if the government said I had to pass a background check to buy a car and it added an extra week, then, whatever. I am sure there are plenty of things that could happen faster without extra paperwork, but I probably no longer even realize it because it has been that way for so long.

It was designed as an alternate proposal for the German flag after WW1, to match the general theme of the flags of other Nordic countries. It was used briefly by those opposing Hitler during the war.

I agree that steps to fight violent crime should be taken. But I also believe that those steps should actually be designed to produce positive results, not just passing laws for the sake doing anything, even something counterproductive.

3 Likes

Honest question - no snark/sarcasm/whateverā€¦ and this question is necessarily just for you, but whoever has the answerā€¦ what is the NRAā€™s suggestion for fighting violent crime? I know I could probably google it, but I am hereā€¦

2 Likes

Please never forget: ā€œWe hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable [absolute] rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happinessā€¦ā€ --Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence
Note that some rights are absolute. Note that gun rights are not mentioned.

3 Likes

Those steps are being taken. The average person has lost the right to private communications and the warrant process, and some have lost habeus corpus.

What was this about MORE crime fighting? Because itā€™s no better despite all the extra crime fighting.

Maybe we shoud try some new ideas, with input from all stakeholders, rather than continue to settle for the lowest common denominator ideas weā€™ve settled on with becasue of whiners who donā€™t want to be more responsible for their dangerous hobbies.

Your hobby is a public health hazard. Yep, itā€™s going to get more complicated and more expensive, because there are a LOT more people at risk.

4 Likes

The NRAs answer is generally more enforcement/effective enforcement of existing laws.

True answer is to address the roots of violent crime which generally lie in the very difficult to address arena of poverty.

Do you think that the right to defend yourself is inherent and inalienable?

Donā€™t forget the War on Drugs and the culture of punishment aka tough-on-crime.

Most of the shootings happening now are done by gang members and people in the illegal drug trade. The people who sell them guns are committing felonies. Often, they recruit multiple people with clean records to purchase guns, then they sell those guns to the criminals. All of the people involved in that process are committing serious crimes. But they frequently only get probation or a very minimal sentence when caught. Even when that gun is used to kill a cop. Why not a mandatory minimum sentence for knowingly selling guns to felons? see below-
http://www.justice.gov/usao-ndia/pr/fort-dodge-man-sentenced-federal-probation-straw-purchase-firearms

This happens all the time.

1 Like

You are in no danger from a bunch of antique guns sitting in a vault. I even know a couple of guys who have very large and expensive gun collections but who literally do not own any ammo. If you think that people like that are the problem, I suspect you do not have a thorough understanding of the causes of gun violence.

1 Like

Donā€™t try and conflate abortion and gun control other than both being things that the Christian White likes to collectively cry about.
There already are restrictions on abortion - even though itā€™s between a woman and her doctor and HER BODY.
Now, if someone were to start restricting the ability for a man to get a vasectomy, let me knowā€¦

4 Likes

Given that almost every mass shooting in the last ten years has been committed by somebody on psych meds Iā€™d say weā€™re going about it the wrong way.

(In other words, the pharmaceutical companies have a bigger congress-critter-purchasing budget than the gun manufacturers.)