Tearful Obama calls for 'sense of urgency' to fight gun violence in America

It’s more an issue of having the government getting invovled in a private sale.

Again, the rules were murky. So far, they still are, as I haven’t seen an outline on what constitutes a business and what is just a private person selling something. How many guns can I sell in a year/month, etc? What if your dad dies and you want to sell off his 20 gun collection. Do you need an FFL for that?

And again, we had more people getting FFLs for convenience back in the day, and the ATF actually frowned on it for some reason. Lots of collectors STILL get a C&R (curious and relics) FFL, which allows them to buy certain older guns on lists with out further NICS checks and can have them shipped to their house.

Honestly though, this will do probably nothing to stop gun violence.

Meh - that is more of a red herring. “Crazy” people shooting others is a tiny sliver of just poor criminals killing each other.

My favorite line of Obama’s speech.

#“If a child can’t open a bottle of aspirin, they shouldn’t be able to pull a trigger on a gun”

4 Likes

Except that the safety caps can become a major problem when you get disabled. I encountered this when I got my shoulder busted; getting into the painkiller bottle became quite a pain.

Fuck these caps.

1 Like

and that is mostly awesome because acetylsalicylic acid would not probably pass the FDA over the counter approval process if it were introduced today.

Your regulated prescription painkiller medication?

Sounds like powerful and dangerous stuff. Should it be available from vending machines?

Some fucking OTC NSAID.

My stash of unofficially obtained opioids I have for cases of more serious pain (and the tooth abscess I got later proved that I was right to stock up) has no such crap.

The latter is, quite. But I won’t give it up just because it is “dangerous”.

Actually, why not? Pain is a bitch and I am not willing to endure any just because some bureaucrat said so.

One of the reasons why I am trying to figure out how to build 3d-printable microreactors, and the matching ecosystem of spectrometers.

1 Like

And the answer is already the same for both.

Dangerous objects stored safely from unintended users.

Not stupid built in obstructions that don’t actually prevent unintended users from gaining access (most children can open child resistant packages).

wikipedia steal: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has stated in a press release that “There is no such thing as child-proof packaging. So you shouldn’t think of packaging as your primary line of defense. Rather, you should think of packaging, even child-resistant packaging, as your last line of defense.”

Obama is full of good persuasive speech, not good policy, reason, or science.

1 Like

Smells like a pretty desperate argument to me.

1 Like

Not what people are mainly concerned about.

It’s a good point but not relevant to the problem that needs to be addressed. Please stick to rights as outlined in the 2nd amendment, nobody wants to pit putting a gun in a glass case against dead kids. Don’t make this argument.

1 Like

I know what you mean. Did you see how many kids were killed because of unrestricted voting last year?

7 Likes

Not from due process.

I suspect you do not have a thorough enough understanding of them either, to see that what makes “your” hobby easy, makes “their” hobby easy too.

To me, you’re all ‘them’. You might want to notice the low lifes you describe are hiding under your umbrella is all.

So, you listened to the proposals, and find at least some of them totally agreeable in principle?

Thanks, Dad.

liberal mommy has me all riled up, thank gosh for conservative daddy. Thank. Gosh.

2 Likes

I only say this because someone might want to take some steps that will actually save some lives, instead of just expending a lot of emotion and effort on actions that don’t really help, and only serve to alienate people who were never part of the problem to begin with.

1 Like

is something to be proud of!

Hooray. A gun thread. Full of right-wing, reactionaries. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

10 Likes
5 Likes

someone, but not you.

2 Likes

What is the acceptable number of innocent casualties before your hobby might need looking at? I assume one, at least.

1 Like