Tech Club

I really do expect it’s a early 1 April joke.

3 Likes

This is kind of amazing. I’ve been struggling against Microsoft’s repeated attempts to upgrade our Windows 7 machines to 10 (damn zombie updates), but maybe I’ll rethink this now.

2 Likes

No way in hell for me. Windows 10 spies, no matter what you do. I’m not running an OS that spies like that.

Also, I’ve tried to use Win10’s controlpanel and config tools. They’re designed to be used by little old ladies who know nothing of computers. I have yet to actually find where I can do real damage. I don’t like that. I’m sticking with Real Genuine Linux Mint, and only booting into windows 7 to play my games.

4 Likes

Good luck sorting out the wheat from the chaff, but, mostly?

Why do I always think I’m in the questions thread?

3 Likes
1 Like

Blade servers, or other cloud environments where you’re running lots of virtual servers.

You can install Windows Server 2012 without a GUI. This gives your servers very little overhead, and you control them all remotely using PowerShell. Or as I vaguely understand it, with software that issues PowerShell commands to large numbers of servers at once.

4 Likes

See also:

Welcome to Film Club.
The first rule of Film Club is don’t talk about Fight Club.

8 Likes

I totally forgot about this. I now have Windows 10. Wonder if this will solve some of the NodeJS image-library issues I’ve had…

1 Like

I know Cygwin screwed me somehow but I cannot recall the details. It was a really royal screwing too.

2 Likes

So far all I’ve got out of Cygwin is that I’ve never been able to install it properly so that it ends up working.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten it working on several occasions (in the sense that bash worked and anything I wanted to do on the command line worked) but the x-windows apps were hit and mostly miss.

The install procedure is (or was; haven’t installed cygwin in probably more than ten years?) pure evil.

4 Likes

http://gabrielmartin.net/projects/hipku/

The drowsy gold bear
aches in the wind-swept meadow.
Lotus flowers crunch.

Also: what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location

I recall needing to use cygwin to build CHDK. I wrestled with it for about two days, finally got a good compile, and decided that was enough of an accomplishment for me.

3 Likes

some Data Science, MachineLearning, AI ebooks free today on O’Reilly:

1 Like

Bookmarked cheers.

1 Like

“I want people to wake up every day and the first thing they check is Twitter in order to see what’s happening in the world,” [current Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey] said between bites of his first crispy beef taco. “It’s a metaphor for checking the weather. Twitter has a similar potential.”

Well, I don’t do that. Despite having my own personal account, and a bunch of bot-accounts, I check the BBS first, Facebook second, NYTimes, the Scranton Times Tribune (newspaper of my former residential locus; I haven’t moved to a CT paper after 5+ years, yet), and NPR before Twitter - which would be via HootSuite, anyway.

From the below article, which is worth reading for much other information. Found via an article link-chain reading about Theranos.

1 Like

I use linux for that.

ldapsearch -x -LLL -H ldaps://hexdc2.hbcs.org -b ‘DC=example,DC=org’ -D admin_luser@example.org -W ‘(&(company=EXTEROS)(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person)(mailNickname=)(msExchHomeServerName=)(!(name=SystemMailbox{))(!(name=CAS_{))(!(msExchRecipientTypeDetails=16777216))(!(msExchRecipientTypeDetails=536870912))(!(msExchRecipientTypeDetails=8388608)))’ mail | grep ‘^dn:’ |wc

4 Likes

Has this been posted to the BBS?

So, the article, by Nick Bilton, led me to check out (literally - as in “from the library”) his book Hatching Twitter

TL;DR: enjoyed it, wish I had a couple billion dollars. Heck, I’d settle for a couple hundred at this point.

1 Like

coMMOdORE 64 wOrkS FoR 25 yeARS withOut a bREak! The system is based on the homemade bench for balancing shafts with sinusoidal waveform generator and sensors to measure vibration piezo rotating...

6 Likes