Techno performed with a jaw harp

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/techno-performed-with-a-jaw-ha.html

9 Likes

More like Industrial

8 Likes

This video delivers exactly what the headline promises, given a broad value for ‘techno’.

Just call it Electronica. But it was pretty fucking good, IMO.

4 Likes

I liked his eyes during the bridge, when he was on a steady inhale for a long time.

And yeah, not bad electronica! I wasn’t expecting Underworld on a mouth harp, but this came a lot closer than I thought possible.

8 Likes

If you’ve ever been to a former Russia block country techno permeates the air. Shopping malls, pharmacies, restaurants…

5 Likes

An expertly wielded jaw harp is basically an acoustic TB-303.

Hence the industrial-flavoured acid house sound here.

8 Likes

Soo Darude’s Sandstorm is a cover of a 1920s dust bowl blues song?

Checks out.

4 Likes

Er. not techno.

just for, well, reference.

4 Likes

Once upon a time, I was recording a song, and I thought that this instrument would go perfect with it, I love this weird sound. This was pre-amazon and I had to special order it at a music store. Unfortunately, this is more difficult to play than you would think and I could not get any satisfactory sounds out of it. In present day, I told this exact story to a musical coworker and he was so intrigued that he ordered one and is teaching himself how to play it. Now I can show him this excellent video for encouragement!

1 Like

This is Underworld with a mouth harp:

8 Likes

Holy crap, how have I never heard that before? Thank you, thank you!

2 Likes

Nah, it’s just some guy cleaning hs shower.

4 Likes

Yer welcome.
Its a bit of a lost gem, and proof that those guys can pull off just about anything
I also love that its yet another member of the weird extended family spawned from “Dark and Long”

1 Like

You are right that it isn’t an example of techno (hard house, maybe), but techno is an umbrella genre.

Dave Clark is techno, but so is Mescalinum United (the parent of gabber and hardcore techno).

And so is Chris Liberator

2 Likes

Came here to say this. Leaving satisfied that someone got there first. Headed over to Amsterdam in 2 weeks to see them play a stadium on the drift tour. 6th or 7th time seeing them live :slight_smile:

1 Like
4 Likes

Acid house!! Spot on

OH fuck yes, we can be friends :wink:

1 Like

Trance Techno maybe, sounds like “Hallucinogen” to me; cool effort.

Beat me to it! (goes to throw on the record)

Seen them 4x, wish Karl would bust out the harmonica sometime

1 Like